Setting tonearm angle?

I recently lucked out and got a great deal on a VPI Scoutmaster 2 with JWM 9T arm and proceeded to set it up.
I had never owned a high end table like this so the set up was a bit new. My question concerns the VTA of the arm. I set it by measuring from the bottom surface of the arm to the record surface at several places along the arm to get the arm as close to level as possible.
Is that a logical thing to have done? Would the sound better if the angle was biased in one way or the other? (Dynavector DV-20X2 H cart being used) Thanks.
rmcfee
If I change the tonearm angle I have to re-adjust the azimuth and tracking force since they change greatly.
By then I can't accurately tell the difference. The fact is that each setting I have tried - arm level, cartridge nose down or nose up, all sound great.
Then I read a seemingly very well thought out essay online concluding that this VTA adjustment actually does nothing!
Some folk with the same gear as me say nose down, some the opposite.... maybe it doesn't make any difference.
If you consider what is happening at the contact point of the cartridge in the groove, the best way to set VTA would be when you hear the most extended treble. The the stylus contact area is set to be the same as the cutting head, there will be no smearing of dynamics or high frequency. All those subtle treble details will bloom into the music. The soundstage will deepen and become more defined since all the detail will be there.
Dear Rmcfee: Seems to me that you don't have yet a reference to compare it and IMHO you need to have a reference to compare different VTA/SRA set up to decide which one is close to the reference ( live music could be a good reference to start with. ).

Changes in VTA/SRA does not only affects the parameters you named but overhang too.

At the end and as the other posts your ears and music sound reproduction priorities will tell which set up is the one for you.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
True, I have no reference. I just made adjustments until bedtime.
Changing all those parameters each time is time consuming and it would be so great if you could adjust the VTA as the record played.
The azimuth setting changed quite substantially as did the tracking force so those couldn't be ignored.
Eventually I got too tired to be subjective at all.
Crazy hobby!