Which tonearm for vintage Micro Seiki BL-91

I have "upgraded" from a vintage Micro Seiki BL-51 to a vintage (again)BL-91 (checked by the local Hi-Fi shop). Unlike the BL-51 that came with a hard wired original tonearm this BL-91 comes without any tonearm.
Could someone recomend me a good tonearm for this turntable. I'm wondering if modern tonearms like the Kuzma 4 point ( have an offer for a second hand one), SME V (or IV-VI), Schick Tonearm, or TriPlanar would be a good match or should I rather go to the older ( and less expensive) designs like the Saec 407/23, Micro Seiki MA-505 Fidelity research FR-64S).
I have a Miyajima Shilabe that I bougth second hand here on Audiogon. Sounds very "organic" meaty full bodied and that is what I like.
Does someone have experience in using recent desings on older turntables?
Thanks in advance
Enjoy the music this weekend
Tony
128x128tgaral
The MA-505 should provide a very good level of performance. I was very please with mine (on a modified TNT) before I switched to a VPI JMW-12 (on an Aries 1 extended).
thanks for your response I read somewhere that the MA-505 would have a slightly more narrow soundstage than its competitors of that period? what was your experience with it and how does teh VPI JMW-12 compare to the Micro Seiki.
I have to agree with Bpoletti, the MA-505 is probably the best overall match for this deck; the MkII for "standard" cartridges or the MkIII version if you want to use a high compliance cartridge. The BL-91 is a little resonant, so IMO a dynamically balanced tonearm will work better than a static arm. Also, in order to mount a VPI arm you are going to have to drill a blank mounting plate. The geometry of the deck will limit you to a 10" or (possibly) a 10.5" arm.

I have setup many MA-505s, and if you take care to match the right cartridge and take a little time to set up the arm properly these tonearms can really sing. I have had very good luck with either the Benz Ace and Glider LOMC carts with the MA-505 MkII, but there are several other cartridges that will work well with this arm.
The 505 is a very good arm. IMO, a bit dark, but very warm, damp and lush. In comparison to a Jelco SA-750D that I had also mounted on the same table, the 505 pretty much beat it in every category I can recall. And the 750D is no slouch arm. Carts were an AT OC9 and a Lyra Clavis da Capo. The CdC sounded pretty well-balanced in the 505 where it is bright (sometimes laser in the eyeball bright) in other arms.

BTW, the 505 I used (and still have) is a Mk II. Some might feel that it is a bit "gadgety" but it is very functional. Also has on-the-fly VTA over a pretty wide range. Very handy.

Comparing the 505 to the JMW-12 isn't quite fair in this case. The JMW-12 was mounted on a table (Aries 1 extended) that was quite a bit better than the TNT table. And further, the JMW-12 would never be a good fit, physically, on a BL-91. It's just plain too big, too long from arm pivot to platter spindle.

Email me off-line if you care to discuss the details of the 505 or get serious about looking around for one.
Bpoletti
Br3098
thanks for your explanation
I thought the BL-91 with its wooden plinth woodn't be that resonant or at least less then other designs.
Any idea how to dampen that resonance: Changing the feet? Use the heavy cupper platter (8kg) instead of the aluminium platter?
Anyway the reason why I'm asking about comparison with modern arms is because I like the vintage designs and especially the Micro Seiki MA-505.. but musical sound is more inmportant than the looks and the specs on paper.
A friend of mine is offering it to me for the equivalent of 300 USD but we saw that when turning the antiskating knob completely back : i.e antiskating "off" the wire that is connecting the knobs with the internal spring is a bit lose. How do we know that this antiskating is still in working condition. On a "blanc" Lp with teh antiskating completely turned in the the tonearm keeps on turning towards the spindle as if there no antiskating wokring on it. VTF for my Miyajima Shilabe (weight 11,2 with original mounting screws,compliance 10x..)is set at 3.0gr (a
Any experience with MA-505 antiskating problems.
Last wek I could audition a Kuzma 4 point with a Shilabe on a VPI (but don't remember the type) at the local store but the price is 11 times the price of the MA-505 even it is a demo unit. Of course I was impressed but it was not on my system
Thanks in advance