What should I plug my system into?

I just got my first high-end system, and without further ado plugged it all into a $5 power strip I got from the supermarket. As I read more, however, I see that one can spend thousands of dollars on line conditioners and other hi-tech gear designed to "clean" the power supply and otherwise work wonders when plugging in. I had no idea this stuff existed. At any rate, I suspect that, whether or not my ears can detect a difference in sound, it might be worthwhile using something a lttle better than a $5 power strip. Your suggestions would be much-appreciated.
kdl6769
kdl6769:

i use the strip that naim recommends. it's *really* great.

for te most part, i agree with all that naim states on the link you mentioned. i think it's well worth a read.
Power conditioners DO make a difference. This from an old quasi-objectivist who will be glad to give you an A-B evaluation in his living room.

That being said, I don't think the extremely costly ones are worth the price. In my own case, a Monster 5000 ($600 list but now readily available for $450 since a new model came out) offers a good compromise between audible improvement and affordability.
I'm very surprised noone has mentioned the Panamax line
of surge protectors and line conditioners. I just moved up
from Adcom stuff to a McIntosh system and discovered my
old TrippLite line conditioner no longer had enough outlets
to plug everything into.
So after looking around a bit and reading some very
unhappy posts about Monster Power products on several websites - I looked into buying a Panamax line conditoner.
I just set up a Panamax 5300 Line Conditioner in my system,
and could not be more pleased. There is absolutely no
discernable noise in my audio system at all. The picture
quality of my Sony 32" Monitor has improved a bit; and
even when I use my McIntosh MR-75 manual tuner, there is
minimal noise when tuning between stations.
The 5300 has 10 double filtered outlets on the back of
the unit - including two to be used for high current
units such as amps and sub-woofers. And a convenience outlet
on the front. Build quality is great - a well built metal
cabinet with a detachable power cord.