Who listens only to vinyl?

WHY, and what turntable set-up are you choosing to live with?
(This is NOT a vinyl versus digital thread, it's a lifestyle thread!)

Recently, I'm heading in this direction, mostly I think because I have never invested enough attention and money to bring up digital listening into the pleasure zone. I also like messing around with record cleaning and arms and cartridges, and worrying whether my TT belt needs replacing. And the sound of course!

If you are one of these vinyl-only people, how did you get there, and how do you feel about living with restricted access to a lot of newer recordings, both classical and other genres? Is it an issue for you?

[Pro-ject 2 Xperience with Shure v15 type IV-JICO SAS stylus]
sumaato
I'd say I listen to vinyl about 80% of the time. My main system has a CD player attached but it is almost never turned on. I only listen to digital for the convenience (in the car, on the plane, at work, etc.).

My second system does not have a turntable attached, so my only option is digital there.

My turntable set up is a Clearaudio Performance SEP with a Lyra Delos cartridge, and a Parasound Halo JC-3 phono preamp. I am very satisfied with the sound of it. I do not anticipate needing to upgrade it for quite a while.
I grew up on vinyl, always way better than cassette IMO. I couldn't even afford to get into CD until about 1992 or so. I bought into the perfect sound forever thing and lived happily with it until 2004 or so. Once I went back to the trouble of vinyl again I've been 99% or more vinyl. If you're really into audio as a hobby, I see no substitute for vinyl (and tubes) in a main system. Way too much work for a "kitchen or bathroom system", but if you're the sort of person who sits down and listens (really listens) to music you should try vinyl and do it right. That means a rather large investment upfront on a front end, cleaning vinyl, storage, the whole bit. It's "extreme audio" but digital is for home theater and "garage systems" IMO.
I have had a fairly sizable vinyl collection for years but never gave it much thought. My CD collection was 3 times the size, and as most people of my generation believed vinyl was a scratchy dead technology. A few years ago I purchased a decent system from a real estate client at the same time I was purchasing my own home and had the space for both a home theater and 2 channel music system. I mostly dismissed my Luxman turntable until I discovered I had not connected the ground wire to my pre-amp and the the buzz I heard when playing records was easily corrected. I was considering going the digital music route with my 2 channel system with a DAC and server, but became frustrated by the fact that there did not seem to be a digital option that would satisfy me. I bought a couple 180 gm LP's, fixed that grounding problem with my TT and the rest is history. I'm 80% vinyl for the last year at home and pretty much only purchase new re-issues and excellent condition used. I love the ritual with vinyl. It has renewed my enthusiasm in record collecting which has wained largely since MP3 has become popular.
Patrick, without getting into specific products (I'm pretty agnostic when it
comes to turntables, there are alot of great ones, and we are truly enjoying
a renaissance in products), the more time and effort you spend getting the
turntable sorted, the more you will get out of those grooves. It is truly
amazing how much musical information there is there, on records that are
ancient, and with good, not super expensive playback equipment to capture
it, you keep realizing the benefits.