Benz Lp-s Frequency Resonance Problems

Hi to all,

As i mentioned on another thread, i have some problems with my Lp-s on my Graham Phantom arm, i have problems with little warps. I have measssured with the Hifi News Lp and lateral i have between 8hz-5hz and vertical i don't know well as i can't see cartridge wobble or hear any distortion. But for my problem the important is the lateral test.
Benz recommends medium to high mass arms but that's impossible!
To get 10hz frequency resonance you need a 0 gram mass arm!

I don't know if to try a Reed arm, the lightest one is 10gr effective mass and i should have 8hz Resonance frequency.

Any idea?

Many thanks
agucela
Stringreen,

Did you measured with the HN Lp ?
What is the effective mass of your arm?
Hmmm...I'm using the Benz LPS with a Graham Phantom Supreme (10" arm) with no issues at all. I use a Benz LP (not -S, but with micro ridge stylus) on another turntable with a Graham Phantom Supreme (9" arm) also with no problems. Both track warps flawlessly without causing resonance problems.
From the facts presented it seems probable that this particular LP-S got out of the factory with an out-of-spec suspension (or it's old and worn out). It's behaving like a cartridge with a more compliant suspension than a typical LP-S.

Suggestion: try it on a different tonearm and see if it exhibits unusually low resonance frequencies there too. If so, the cartridge suspension is suspect.

P. S. Also, try reducing VTF. Excessive VTF could contribute to such behavior. And don't quote me what your scale or the manufacturer's guidelines say, just try it. :)
Doug...good suggestions. I think also that the cartridge should be sent back to Benz for them to check. Too many people have great success with this cartridge on too many arms for this to happen only to the poster.
You might want to send the cartridge back. i run an lp-s on a phantom 2 and it is a wonderful combination.