How many LP's do you own? How long did it take?

I started to collect vinyl in the late 80's, after it was demonstrated to me (to my ears) that vinyl sounded better than cds. I was fortunate at the time that people were dumping their vinyl collections. I was able to buy great LP's in mint condiiton for .10 cents each or so at garage sales...My have things hve changed. The vast majority of LPs I buy now are new and cost between $14 to $50 bucks each. Used LP'P's can go for more if its rare. So, how many LP's do you own and how long did it take you to amass your collection? I currently have about 2000 LPs.
tbromgard
I would say around 3000; I started in the late 50s and got a lot of them when I lived in Chicago at places like Rose Records. Their top floor was packed with amazing deals; they have been closed for years and I still have some I haven't opened. Also got a lot when the record stores went out of business after CDs came out. I don't really think I would start a vinyl collection unless I lived where I had access to good used record stores. I bought a new LP last week: SALT FOR SALT by BROWN BIRD but I usually just open up one of the 200 or so I have never gotten around to opening. Much cheaper that way.
about 3500 and collected seriously over 20 years. First 20 years of owning vinyl, i had about 300 to 400 of my own purchases from various retail markets. In the late 80's early 90's, it became hard to find new albums and just started buying cd's but soon learned a lot of folks were dumping albums in garage sales. did that gig until early 2000 then started buying from retail 2nd hand vinyl stores, ebay, audiogon and craigslist.
Interesting, about four crates worth, I have not ever bothered to count them. Started in the late 70's and then tailed off buying in the late 90's getting into CD's for new music. Amazing how good so many of my records still sound so well even over my modest turntable which has been around a few decades.
I have around 3,000 Lps. From 1975 to about 1995, it took me 20 years to collect the first 2,000. I stopped buying LP's altogether in '95. All of the first 2,000 were purchased brand new. About 5 years ago a buddy was visiting my place and saw my turntables. He asked if I would like to have the jazz collection of his recently deceased 88 year-old father-in-law. I flew to Chicago, packed them in boxes and shipped them back to LA. More than 1,000 killer jazz LPs fell into my lap just like that.

I don't buy LP's anymore. I too have hundreds that I've purchased that I've never opened. Out of the thousand LPs that my buddy gave me, I've only played a handful of them in 5 years. I don't even play my cd's anymore. I mostly listen to Rhapsody or Pandora on my SqueezeBox.
I've been listening to vinyl only (no cds in the house!) since 2000. I've accumulated about 600 excellent condition LPs that in regular rotation and another 30 that are collectable and don't get much play.