Cartridge Experts

I am wondering what sonic impact is there between long vs short cantilevers? I assume a longer one will have more mass and be more damped. Of coarse it will depend on the material as well.
sarcher30
Post removed 
Thanks Elizabeth, I realize this is a difficult question to answer. I think only a cartridge designer and or rebuilder can really say for sure. I understand if they are reluntant to answer. Maybe they use whatever length is optimal for any given design?

I sent in a Colibri XGP to van den Hul to match the compliance to my tonearm. It came back with a longer cantilever than before. I'm not sure if it was to help with compliance or if it was just what they were using at the time? From what I have read there is usually a wire attached to the back of the cantilever and compliance is adjusted by how tight the wire is stretched. The suspension material also plays a roll by being either soft or harder.

Any experts care to explain?

Sean
You've probably had the damper changed. A softer one will give you a higher compliance. Harder suspension means lower compliance. The shorter cantilever gives more attack, rhythm, timing. I believe van den Hul uses 6 and 7mm boron cantilevers.