Sota+SME IV=Ugh !!!

Greetings,
I’m driving myself crazy, once again! I’m trying to determine which of the below wood body cartridges will give me the warmest, richest, and most romantic sound. Detail and attack are secondary. I listen to a lot of female jazz vocalists, and classical music. My room is rather bright (a lot of glass and hardwood flooring).

My components:
Sota Star Sapphire w/ SME Series IV
Conrad Johnson Premier 16 pre, Premier 12 monos, CJ’s EF1 Phono pre
Tannoy Turnberry Speakers
Stealth PGS I/C’s
VandenHul Bi wire

My Options for a cartridge:
Clear Audio Maestro
Grado (Reference or Sonata)
Benz SH Woodbody
As suggested…

Want to stay with wood body and around $1,000 - $1,400 in cost. Thanks so much for any opinions put forth!
rbschauman
I hesitate to answer you since I will be putting both of these cartridges up for sale in the near future, but quite honestly, either would fit your stated needs. These are the Benz H2 or Soundsmith's The Voice. The Benz is the more 'lush' of the two, while the Soundsmith is a bit more neutral (but still on the warm side).
I ran the Cosmos with the SME 5 and had a number of Grado wood body cartridges on it. They were not particularly happy in that arm (seemed like effective mass issues, in other arms the same cartridges tracked great), but there was certainly no hum!
I was a SOTA distributor many yrs ago -
1. SME V works beautifully on SOTA. SOTA was not designed for SME, SOTA/Sumiko took over distribution of the SME long after SOTA was launched.
2. As stated above I would have concerns with matching Grado/SME V. Best Grado I have heard on the SOTA was with an Alphason arm.
3. Suggested cartridges as above - Koetsu Black, Cardas Heart.Also check out the Lyra Delos, it is much warmer than earlier Lyra's.
Other suggestions, sources of brightness in your system that I would be looking to change -
Van den hul spkr cable and possibly your phono stage to tube design.
Reminder, Benz Micro and it's US distributor, Musical Surroundings, offer a generous trade in/up program. I'm currently up to the Benz Micro Ruby Z low output. This is essentially the same S-Class cartridge as the very well reviewed and slightly heavier LP.

All three cartridges on your list will do a very good job. I can't tell you just how nice it is when you feel your cartridge has worn that it still has value as a trade in.