Graham Phantom with Benz Lp-s Tracking problems

Hello to all,

i recently mounted my new Lp-s cartrige on the Phantom B-44. The sound is great, but i have problems with some Lps, 4-5. On all it is on the beginning of the record. I can see a little but quick jumping from the cartridge, it isn´t much but the stylus looses contact with the groove and i hear something like a rumble. I don´t know if it´s the right word. And when i put up the volume it distorts. Benz told me that the best way for working the Lp-s is that the counterweight should be very close to the center of the tonearm and it isn´t, it is 1cm or more away from the top.
I wrote Bob Graham to tell me his thoughts, will see what he tells me. Maybe i have to change the ring of the counterweight to a heavier one!?
Has someone experience with this problem?

Many thanks and happy new year !!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes from spain,

Agustin
agucela
If you are experiencing lateral drift when you drop the needle on the record, either to the left or right, check your antiskating. Ensure that you have mounted the LPS correctly. Though not a Phantom, I have mounted several LP's on SME V arms with no issues. The Phantom has more user adjustability, therfore, you may have to pay very close attention to each and every setting on the Phantom arm.
Good luck.
Audioquest4life
Thanks to all,

The microlift isn't the problem, it don't touch.
I set VTF at 1,85g and i tried with 2,20g, nothing.
I made lateral and vertical resonance test on HFN Lp, lateral at 7hz it moves but nothing on the sound and vertical maybe at 20-18hz there is a little bit in the sound i can hear.
Ok, when there is a problem. What is the problem, the cartridge compliance( suspension)?
The frien who tried the same lps has a inferior benz cartridge and a inferior clearaudio arm!?
Check that the bearing is seated properly. The proper gap between the magnet and the bearing housing is approximately 0.100 to 0.125" just looking at it. If the bearing is not seated correctly, this gap will be much smaller and cause all kinds of tracking issues.
Hi Agucela,
Sorry to hear you are still struggling. I think the Forum needs more background on the problem. You didn't say whether you'd investigated AudioQuest4Life's suggestion regarding antiskate?
Can you tell us where the bias weight is set at the moment? At rest, is it nearer the floor or nearer the tonearm?

The fact that your other LPs sound great and you don't seem to have any trouble cuing them precludes severe skate/antiskate errors but no harm in checking Band 6 of the HFN/RR and reporting back which channel, if any, is buzzing?

Final questions : Did you add damping fluid during setup? Have you noticed anything different about those 4 or 5 rogue LPs? Are they concave/convex as the playing surface presents itself? Do they have slow warps or fast warps?
Hopefully this will lead to an explanation.
My LPS is tracking flawlessly on a VPI 10.5. I noticed that the counterweight is very close to the pivot so that really might be the difference.