Much better MM cartridge than Shure V15 IV?

Hi, I have a Pro-ject 2 Xperience turntable, and I'm running a Shure V15 IV with Jico SAS stylus on it. I'm wondering how much higher quality MM cartridge can I attach to the carbon Pro-ject 9cc arm without exceeding the capabilities of the turntable/arm combination? Grados tend to hum on this deck unless I shield the motor's EMF. I have not tried anything else yet. What would you suggest as a clear significant cartridge upgrade?
sumaato
While the Audio Technical AT150MLX costs less than many of the carts under discussion, (currently about $325 at lpgear), it is an excellent cartridge on several fronts, quick and responsive, yet has a nice full-bodied sound.

Two things to make it work well in your rig: you should probably add a headshell weight to get a better arm weight/compliance match as the AT150MLX has a lower compliance than the V15. Second, the AT150MLX likes to see a 100-200 pF capacitive load. If your Cronus isn't configurable for that, then you need to choose some interconnects that have 100-200 (ideally 150) pF capacitance. That rules out your current Blue Jeans.

Anyway, I've been living with an AT150MLX for 3-1/2 years and still love it like I did when it first broke in. I've upgraded everything downstream a few times (including cabling) and each time revealed how much better the cartridge is than I first realized.

It's finally getting noticed in the high end press; Abso!ute Sound named it Cartridge of the Year for 2011.

Also, I get great results with this heavy butcher block cutting board, isolated from above and below. It's just an opinion at this point, but I think maple does a better job of absorbing vibrations than Corian. I have a friend with a Music Hall turntable (made in same factory as Pro-Ject) who also uses one of these with excellent results.
Sumaaro, I see Stanton 881s regulary on ebay.com. Look for
a good specimen with 81 stereohedron stylus in pristine
condition. If you have no luck email me.

Regards,
Sumaato...what exactly is missing in your current system? Nice recommendations cart wise...but nothing i would call a quantum leap above the shure...Rel has a T series that is great value...
To be honest, I don't feel I'm missing anything, but I know there are two things that can be tweaked into existence:

bass, with a sub, and upper mid band/lower treble resolution with better instrumental separation. The stereo depth is excellent, imaging is great, speakers disappear...they are brilliant BTW.

The Rogue amp has all the muscle and transparency one could wish for, I think. There is never a sense that the system is struggling. I'm basically looking to optimize and see how much more I can find in the sound with a cartridge change or other tweaks. Some great suggestions here so far, thank you.
Since you are using Kimber Monocles and the Stirling LS3/5a's have separate bass and mid speaker terminals, what are you using for jumpers?

You have a lot of good going in your system as is. One could argue to go further up the turntable/tonearm chain, but the only weak points I see at present are the interconnects and possibly the jumpers to the treble inputs on the speakers. I have bi-wirable speakers too, and for a long time I bi-wired them, but when I upgraded to a much better single run cable (Zu Audio Libtec, now discontinued), I had to experiment with a wide range of jumpers until I finally hit gold with a matching set of Zu Ibis jumpers. Because jumpers are so short, a fresh set only takes about 15 minutes to burn in, and I found there to be very noticeable differences in midrange and treble quality. By the same token, regardless of Blue Jeans claims, you aren't going to really know what your LP front end is dishing out through a $34 pair of interconnects.

Your quest for more upper octave smoothness and midrange transparency--given the quality of your system overall--indicates a need for better cabling. Check into a pair of Kimber Heroes at least, and a pair of Kimber Select speaker jumpers to match the resolution and quality of your Monocles.