great 70s country lps...audophile grade

Looking for well recorded country lps from this golden era? Where should one start? Jones, Waylon, Nelson,etc...also lesser known artists welcome...thanks
128x128phasecorrect
Willie Nelson's "Stardust" is exceptional, especially the half-speed mastered version. I use it as a "test" record often.

I have very little country music although Patsy Cline and Hank Williams immediately come to mind. Unfortunately both passed on before the 1970s.

Last year a friend brought an album that sounded so good I searched it out and bought a copy. Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys, "For The Last Time."

This is exactly the period you mention, recorded Dec, 1973 in Dallas, TX.

This album makes me laugh out loud every time I hear it, a combination of the unrestrained joy of the performers combined with unexpected lyrics.

Bob Wills Sample MP3

This kind of music will not appeal to everyone but my diverse love for music found a spot for it. If your an LP guy, the original is a two LP box set, United Artists UA-LA 216J2 (0998)
I will second Ablert's endrosement. I bought this when it originally came out and it was great. Although 2/3rds of my collection is rock, about 15% is country. The final Bob Wills sessions have great players and is highly recommended to any fan of Western Swing. You might be surprised. But to answer the initial question I would look for sealed country vinyl from the 60's. You can find stuff by Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and others in sealed condition on the auction site.
The good news is that in general, most country music is well recorded. I agree with the "Stardust" recommendation. One that always stands out to me is "This Time" a Waylon Jennings album from the early 70's. A relatively unknown Willie Nelson plays on this album.