MoFi So Long So Wrong

I gather I may be reigniting a firestorm here, but is there a problem with MoFi's SO LONG SO WRONG or with my system?

The last two tracks on Side 2 are unlistenable.

I thought it was my copy of the record. Those two tracks are noticeably darker (in color) than the other two on that side. A friend bought the same LP, and his copy does the same thing on my table and his--both are Rega P5s with Exact II styli.

Mo Fi, for their part, asserts that there's no problem with the record. It's been a while since I bought it, so i can't return. I'm kind of hot about that, too--if it's a manufacturing defect, they ought to be willing to stand behind their product. And they aren't.

The rest of the record sounds fantastic.

But those two tracks are just awful.

Sibilance, distortion, a kind of cracking sound. As though the master level was messed with during cutting.

I've checked everything I know to check. The table seems to be dialed in pretty well. Anybody brave enough to offer an opinion?

(This may have been discussed before, but all I could find looking were what seemed like references to some OTHER thread.)

Thanks,

Marty
mpriola
Goatwuss:

Dynavector 20X2? High output, to match the Bellari pre map I have to go with the Rega?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Marty
Hi Marty,

The tricky thing is that it's hard to know what's going to work without going and actually trying it. Dynavectors are great sounding cartridges. The original 20X2 is a good sounding cart, but not up there with the very best in tracking in my experience. It may have been improved in the rev 2 version though.
I have no problem with these two tracks. In fact, I use "It Doesn't Matter" as one of my references for evaluating set up and gear. I listened to it just yesterday when rolling various tubes in my phono stage.

It's a great song and sounds wonderful on my system.
Goatwuss, Stingreen and Tricon_dave are correct. This LP plays fine in my system too but I have two friends with (less capable) systems which distort it just as you described, especially the inner tracks.

We've played the same copy in all three systems. Only in mine is it listenable (assuming one applies such a term to Allison Krauss). ;-)

It's a challenge not only for a cartridge/tonearm, it's a major challenge for a phono stage. The recording was miked closely, fundamentals and harmonics are quite close together and amplitudes are high. These factors challenge each component's ability to avoid sibilance (due to intermodulation between powerful, closely related waveforms) and crackling (due to physical mistracking, phono stage overload or both). The more tightly packed modulations of an inner groove just compound these challenges.

This record's a pretty good demo for a good system, or a pretty stiff challenge for one that's still developing.
I had a friend bring his Mission775sm Table with a 774sm tonearm and a Dorian cartridge. Every record that I have sibilance on was gone on his table. Same setup other than different table and tonearm. Has everything to do with the table and arm IMO. I wonder if gimbal arms are less prone to this type of distortion. maybe better unipivots would track better