Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
Dear Raul - $500 for a properly functioning SP-10MKII (with PS) ?

I will be sure to contact you the next time I buy one.

For the SP10MKII the following public data is published.

Speed fluctuation by load changes: 0% within 5kg-cm.

Can someone technical explain to me what "5kg - cm" really means in laymans terms. Can I really put that much weight in that area and it will stay accurate ?

D, Syntax, Thuchan - Did or do any current BD TT manufactures publish accuracy values ?

I would think that for someone interested in a high end platter/motor setup these types of figures attract the customer.

Like when buying a car.

0 - 100km in 4.5 seconds. :^)

As a customer without ever hearing it - the published numbers are what got me curious in the first place about an SP10mkII.

Cheers
Revision - apologies - my question about "BD" data should be revised to Belt Drive, String Drive, Thread Drive, VHS Tape Drive, Beta Tape drive, Dental Floss Drive, ... fill in the next one.

... and is open to anyone to respond if you have any real info.

Whatever turns you on as long as you are having fun and have a sense of humor.

When I go to listen to a TT or any audio system I ask the owner to sing me one minute of their favourite song. Its amazing how many really $$$ systems have owners that can not carry a tune.

Well IMO - this thread is about a TT platter/motor being able to do its part in carrying a tune - its the foundation half. The other half is the tonearm/cartridge. A "really" good tonearm will make a cheap cartridge sound really good. Again IMO.

Cheers
15 years ago I owned a DD Dual Turntable. Made in Germany, the best which was available at that time. I feel a bit guilty now when I read this thread, because I throw it away at the junk yard after listening to something serious.
At the moment this is used for Speed control .
But I am always ready to learn, in a few days I have the chance to listen to a rock port Sirius (DD) and a better Seiki (Belt) in the same System. The Rockport is a bit more than the accepted 300$ for a good Drive here, but nevertheless it is worth a listen...
Syntax, you and a few other here own and get to listen to some very nice toys.

When I stop learning this vinyl stuff will no longer be a hobby for me.

FWIW - if anyone wants to know if I can carry a tune please email me - I will send back my phone number. You can call me and I will sing you a song (unplugged).

:^)
Ct, Altho I am currently a partisan of direct- and idler-drive turntables, I would nevertheless take those data you quoted (0% speed deviation at 5 kg.cm) with a grain of salt. The Technics uses a servo to keep speed stable, but a servo is not perfect in terms of avoiding "micro" changes in speed that it then has to correct for. So "average speed" may indeed not vary, but the devil is in those corrective measures mediated by the servo to keep the speed stable. The jury is out as to whether we can hear that happening. Some claim that they can. BD turntables pose entirely different problems as regards speed stability at the micro level. Some of us can hear that, too. Pick your poison.

kg.cm (kilogram X cm) must be a unit of Work or Energy. Work is defined as Force (F) acting through a distance (s); W = F(s). Kilogram is formally a unit of mass, but by convention we also refer to it as a unit of weight. Weight is mass X acceleration due to gravity (W = m(g)). The analogy to F = ma is obvious. So "weight" is actually an expression of force. That's what they taught me in college. It's a bit confusing, but I think that kg.cm is a unit of Work. (I've just been reading a book about how Einstein interpreted Newton, so I have been thinking about this stuff.)