The greatest MM and MI cartridges ....

.... survived the test of time with flying colors.

Would like to know your mind about what MM and MI cartridges did really survive in our memory and were able to hold their sonic standard against all fashions.
dertonarm
Regards, Frogman: IMHO, nice catch. I believe you'll find the 412 has a better grip on the bass than does the very nice Azden YM-P50VL. Mids will be presented with good clarity and the HF's detailed without being worrysome.

BTW Frogman, outcome dependent, either this enthusiast paid too much or another not enough, but recently I was fortunate(?) enough to obtain from your referenced vendor a NOS LPM 415STR. Out of consideration for our thread-host, in a week or two and with a better acquaintance with these carts it might perhaps be appropriate if we continue the discussion of Acutex taxonomy over on Raul's epic thread?

In a sideways recognition of certian comments made above, Nikola would you bring along more of your outrageous Balkan exaggeration and Thuchan, of course, your delicious double entendres? And Henry, you are suspected of hyperbole-- I looked several times and there's no evidence of another room behind my speakers.

Apologies, Herr Tonarm. You've been very patient.

Peace,
Dear Professor, 'outrageous Balkan exaggerarion'? If you
mean the watermelon then you missed my intention. This
was an 'exit strategy statement' based on Von Clausewitz . Ie that our Balkan conviction regarding the 'bigger is better' issue apply only to the vegetables, fruit and carts. To me however some other (very) big mysteries are more interesting. The fact that no Chinese wants a daughter and the fact that no American (on ebay) want to sell abrod. While I , despite my academic education, am not able to write all the numbers needed as
a symbolic representation of American foreign debts I am very disappointed about such a conduct because I missed a.o. 4 Acutex carts this way.

Regards,
Dear Timeltel: I will like to see you there because I'm testing ( what a coincidence. Well, we can't stop on the jungle's hunting. ) the same Acutex model ( second hand. ) and we can goo in deep about.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Allow me to chime in and share my experience with the ruby retip of the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood.

A few years ago, I purchased a used Clearaudio Emotion turntable with Virtuoso Wood here on Audiogon. Unfortunately, it arrived with a bent cantilever. I too was curious about the ruby cantilever option while researching my options for a rebuild. I chose to give it a try.

After a few months of waiting (they are very busy at Soundsmith and the queue was fairly backed up), I received my Virtuoso with new ruby cantilever and line contact stylus. Initially I was very impressed with the increase in detail. However, over time, I found the sound to be a bit strident. I attempted several times to resolve this by changing alignment and lowering the raking angle, but to no avail.

In the end, I chose to drop back to the standard aluminum cantilever with elliptical stylus. Peter from Soundsmith was very accommodating and understanding of my situation. Upon remounting the new rebuild, I immediately heard the original romantic sound of the Viruoso Wood. It's hard for me to say if Peter's rebuild sounded better than stock because it had been so long since I first heard it. What I can say though, is to be careful when chosing the ruby cantilever option. It may work well with some carts, but I did not like the sound it made when attached to the Virtuoso.