"Spitting" Cartridge problem

I've run into an issue I've never seen before and can't figure it out. I have an Ortofon Rondo Red mounted on an early TriPlanar on a Basis Ovation table. Recently the right channel has started making serious distortion on transients - it sounds like harsh static/spitting.

VTF, VTA, alignment are all good. And I haven't changed anything either - it just started happening out of the blue. The cart has maybe a few hundred hours on it. Could it just have gone bad?

It's not the phono pre, or anything else in the chain. I can't see how an interconnect could cause such an issue but it's captive so I can't change it easily.
paulfolbrecht
I would suggest switching the right and left tonearm clip connections to the cartridge. If the distortion switches to the left channel then you will have confirmed that the problem is either with the cartridge itself or its setup causing distortion in the right channel output. If the distortion stays in the right channel then the problem is further upstream from the cartridge, either with a cable or amplification somewhere in the chain. Then you can work from there to determine the bad element in the chain by switching left and right connections one stage at a time to determine where the problem is originating. Good luck and let us know what you find.
This doesn't sound like a cartridge problem. I'd look upstream..loose cable, bad tube, etc.
Mine did something similar recently until the right channel finally went out all together. Turned out to be a loose cartridge clip that finally came off all together. Hope this helps.
Check the anti skate setting. If anti skate setting is too low, you will hear static in the right channel. Too high will give static in the left channel.
I did check the clips but maybe not good enough. I will clean those suckers with a good degreaser and make sure they fit very tight (with judicious use of a very fine needle-nose pliers). I am now betting that's it as well.

Wgallupe, I don't think anti-skate can be the issue, since many tables/arms function just fine with no anti-skate - right? Also, that static would not just be associated with transients,I think.