White Substance on Aja 30th Anniversary

Hey Folks,

I was waiting to play my 30th Anniversary edition of Aja on vinyl until I got the system sounding better. After recent changes I was ready to play it. I opened it and much to my surprise it has a white substance on it that has survived a VPI 16.5/VPI fluid cleaning. The picture is at http://www.audiocrazies.com/storage/AJA_30thAniversary_Imperfect.jpg .

I also have this on my mono Doors from the boxed set. Anybody know what it is and how to clean it? Enzymes?

Thanks,
Robert
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrobob
I've seen this residue on many brand new records, most of them top shelf pressings, mostly 45s interestingly. However, I'm not sure if it's just the light in the picture the OP took, or the residue on his record is worse as it looks rather nasty compared to mine. The residue I've had were had the same pattern, but was less pronounced and you had to angle the record to actually see it well. It had absolutely no effect on the sound, and left absolutely nothing on the stylus.
Also possible is residue of the release agent used in pressing the record. A silicone based product will turn white when emulsified with water and after drying what you might see.
^^^^^^^

SOOOO tired of hearing about "release agents". Never was any, ever.

Let me guess, he heard about them on that new Internet thingy
Sounds like someone at the pressing plant was pretty excited about these pressings.

Monica might be able to tell you how to remove those stains.
Puzzling. The "fine Columbian," to my knowledge, can only be found on side one of "Gaucho."