Best way to record vinyl to digital?

I hope that I'm not hijacking someone else's thread, but I asked a question over on the Digital Forum and did not receive a reply so I thought I would try here:

Can anyone provide a brief comparison of LP ripping software? Audacity and Reaper have both been mentioned, but not Pure Vinyl. Has anyone tried it?

I have been struggling with ripping my vinyl collection to digital files. I have a Mac Mini and an Apogee Duet I borrowed from the kid next door, and I downloaded the Pure Vinyl demo which is supposed to be fully functional. After messing with it for over a week I still can't get it to work, and the documentation they provide with the demo version stinks. So I am looking for a better way to do this and would appreciate any suggestions.
bodotes
pure digital techs helped me on the phone for an hour. i needd help. ha they have a reputation for great interest in what is going on with their customers and potential customers. several magazines gave strong reviews to pure vinyl so it might be worth it to you to call them. my only problem with them [and it was from my end] is they assume a certain level of computer accumen on the customer end. sorry i can,t help more but thought my experience might be of some benefit. i just bought the music player because the vinyl was out of my price range.
Have you contacted channeld, the Pure Vinyl publisher? They have a good reputation for support.

Your gear should give you good results; I use a Duet myself.
Second Tobias, PV has always been very responsive with support. I use the program and it works great.

If you only downloaded the Pure Vinyl 3 beta version, you should also get the PV 2.3 application suite. The documentation with version 2.3 is more complete and will help somewhat with version 3, although several aspects of the interface differ.

The beta version 3 still has significant limitations and I have not yet gotten it to work to my satisfaction. It works much better if you record using a non-equalized amplifier for the turntable and let PV add digital RIAA equalization. But, recording an equalized signal from my phono preamp still fails with PV3. PV 2.3 works fine, but you have to downsample to CD quality (16/44.1) to edit the recording into individual tracks.