Walker Prelude Quartet users with VPI 16.5

I have been using the Walker Prelude system with my VPI 16.5 for about 2-3 yrs now. I have been happy with the end results, but I have a few questions to ask for anyone using
the same combination. One, is how many LP's do you do in one session? I like to do the 1/2 mix and get about 8-10 Lp's in each session. But those of you using the 16.5, how hot does you RCM get? Also do you use seperate vacuum tubes for each step? I use 2 tubes one for step 1 & 2 and the other for 3 & 4. How wet do you get the LP for each step. Also for all 16.5 owners how much "wobble" do you get on your platter? Mine seems to move (up and down not side to side) more as the session goes on. I spoke with Mofimadness about his and he states his older 16.5 has always had some wobble to it. But I notice that as the machine warms up it increases to the point that if I apply scrubbing pressure 180 deg. from the vac. tube it can actually lift the vac. tube enought to lose full contact. Once the machine cools this movement is considerably less. Any feed back will be helpful and appreciated.
128x128theo
My original 16.0, (bought in 1980 and converted to 16.5 later on) actually wobbles more side to side than up and down. Mine has never gotten hot enough to notice, but I only clean a few albums in a session. My unit doesn't have the stainless steel tank with the drain tube, so I'm very careful with how much fluid is vaccumed up.

I took mine apart and really couldn't find anything that I could fix to decrease the wobble. I tightened up everything I could. I think the wobble is in the shaft/bearing/motor assembly and the whole assembly would need to be replaced. Mine has always worked GREAT, so I'm just going to leave it alone until it finally craps out and then I'll buy a new one.
Theo,

I've been using this same combo for a couple of years and can honestly say that it works great. I've tried most of the record cleaning fluids, and the Walker Prelude is the best by far.

I've never had any wobble or heat issues w/my 16.5, and have many friends w/same, and never heard of nor seen any such issues. From your description, I am getting the impression that you are applying a lot of scrubbing pressure on your albums, and that concerns me because it isn't necessary. You might even be causing the heat if you are working against the motor by applying much pressure on the platter. If you machine isn't broken, this process shouldn't be a workout! Your machine might need service. If you call VPI and ask for Mike, he is full of great advice. Call them Tues-Thurs only.

I also usually use the smaller size batch of enzymatic step 1, and also typically get about 10 Lps. You don't need a ton of fluid.

Regarding swapping of the VPI tubes for the steps, I can't really make a suggestion other than saying to email Lloyd Walker and ask his advice. I use a Walker Vortex, which is a modified delrin tube without a velvet strip. It has a small opening which concentrates the suction from the vacuum, and easily wipes clean, so no need to change it. This item is no longer available.

Keep 'em spinning. Cheers,
Spencer
My experience matches Sbank's and my suggestions are similar. If the VPI motor is overheating, that suggests to me that you are scrubbing with the platter rotating and applying a fair amount of pressure.

If you're using a Walker, Disc Doctor or Mobile Fidelity brush (all good), stop the platter after spreading the Step 2 fluid. Scrub with the platter turned off, rotate it in one-third steps scrubbing each third with the platter still.

As to the wobble, it may be that the mounting plate under the platter has loosened. As Sbank suggests, check with Mike at VPI for recommendations.
Mucho good advice so far.

Agree that considerable downward pressure from brushes while the platter is spinning, will cause more drag, and no doubt cause increased platter motor heat.

A cooling fan mod will solve that.

Me, I generally apply fluids, with platter rotating, then once the record is covered, I stop the platter, and give those cleaners some time to do thier job. I'll very lightly-gently scrub the record in sections with the platter motionless.

A spare wand dedicated for just the final rinse step I think is a good idea. I have hear some going to the lengths of having a different wand assembly for each, and every step, but I think this is a bit overdoing it.

I myself, notice what you say about platter rock, and have recently considered replacing the 4 rubber standoffs that connect the platter motor, to the motor mounting plate, with either aluminum spacers, or nylon.

I know places like the home improvement stores carry such in their hardware sections.

I feel if there is less rock-play, the vacuum wand will be able to maintain a more uniform contact across the record.

Whatever the standoff's lengths are, the new spacers would need to be the exact same length, so as not to alter platter height. Mark