Brinkmann Bardo vs Transrotor Fat Bob Reference

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the differences between these two turntables? They are similar in price & both have hydrodynamic magnetic bearings, although the Brinkmann is direct drive as opposed to the more conventional design of the TR. Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated!
melbguy1

Melbguy1, no worries. There's no best or worst and whatever in between is why we called this a hobby. It doesn't matter what drive system you use. Whether it's belt drive or steam engine drive, as long as it meets your need. Most important of all, enjoy the music. :-)

_______
Most important of all, enjoy the music. :-)

You said that, enjoy what you have, one day you might not be able to.

Happy spinning.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life
Dear MG, I am a bit confused. Are the FMD and the TMD two different things? Sounds like you are saying that the FMD is a later development of TMD(?) Thanks for any info.
Hi Lewm,

I used Google Chrome and translated to English to find the differences between TMD and FMD
This link covers FMD

http://www.audio.de/testbericht/der-grosse-transrotor-rondino-fuer-11000-euro-1093443.html

This link covers TMD:
http://www.hifi-regler.de/shop/transrotor/transrotor_tmd_lager_60_mm.php?SID=32b425f2710b79c916d273ffc6305f2f

I used the Google Chrome translate. I can speak, read and write auf Deutsche. The FMD appears to still be a belt drive type system, but with another magnetic bearing for the driving belt, versus the magnetic bearing for the platter itself.

I guess you could say this would be like modding your Harley with every chrome accessory possible.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life

TMD = Transrotor Magnet Drive

Using a ring bearing surrounding the platter bearing underneath the subplatter driven by a belt. The ring bearing holds the magnets that attacts the magnets in the subplatter above. This ring bearing is still mounted on the same plinth as the main bearing.

Diagram of TMD

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FMD = Free Magnet Drive

Using a belt-drive motor pod underneath the turntable. The motor pod holds the magnet that attracts the magnets in the subplatter above. FMD differs from TMD is that FMD is completely mechanically separated from the turntable above. Similar system in the Clearaudio Statement and EAR Disk Master.

Diagram of FMD . . . and . . . more pictures.

_______