Brinkmann Bardo vs Transrotor Fat Bob Reference

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the differences between these two turntables? They are similar in price & both have hydrodynamic magnetic bearings, although the Brinkmann is direct drive as opposed to the more conventional design of the TR. Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated!
melbguy1
I can add some insight regarding using the TMD bearing versus the standard bearing in a Transrotor Apollon turntable. It is not a Fat Bob S, but it is using the same TMD bearing. The Brinkmann Bardo costs nearly twice as much as the Fat Bob S in Germany. I do not have much information regarding the Brinkmann except that it is also a fine turntable and have seen and heard it at various audio shows in Germany.

I use three 180mm short drive belts. In addition, my Apollon has been modded to every factory upgrade possible. 80mm platter, 3M Konstant 3 motor controller, and the TMD bearing. Prior to the TMD bearing upgrade, my turntable would free wheel for a while before it would stop and the start up from a stop was easier. When I added the TMD bearing; the force of the magnets are powerful on the TMD bearing assembly which now cause the platter start and stops to be more forceful as the inertia of either start or stop must overcome the magnetic field during initial start up and when you stop. When I mean forceful, the initial spin requires a good amount of torque to spin the platter from a stop. I do notice as my belts get older, I need to help the platter along, well with almost a 30 lb platter with record clamp, maybe it ought to be for every start, regardless of age of the belts, that is a lot of strain for any belt, even three.

The main differences I notice, and this is spoken from layman's terms as I do not claim to be any expert in such technology, is that the speed of the platter is a lot more stable, without speed drift that seemed to creep in every so often with the non-magnetic platter, as measured by my strobe disk. I think in part this is more of an indication of the electrical fluctuations than anything and to a degree to the non TMD platter versus the TMD platter. With the TMD, the effect of the electrical fluctuations have less of an effect on the platter causing the speed to remain more stable. I wish that the Transrotor had some type of speed controller that shows the speed in actual time and corrects the speed as needed. The upgraded speed controller is excellent and provides quartz controlled power to three motors, and I can adjust the speed as necessary after I measure it using the strobe disk or the Sutherland Timeline.

Okay, what does this boil down to? It means, that when I bought the TMD option, I thought of the physics, from a novice point of view and related that to many years as an audio geek, and decided that TMD was worth the upgrade, because the drifting speed in turntables I had before were present in other belt driven turntables I have owned; Panasonic, Pioneer, and the only non belt driven turntable I owned, the Denon DP62L, which was always speed stable. I never second guessed my decision, and despite looking at some other costlier options, I am pretty sure I will be content for the rest of my life with the TMD option, especially on the TR Apollon. The Fat Bob S has received some excellent reviews here in Germany and other parts of the world.

I hope this gives you a personal perspective concerning the TMD bearing and what it did to help me enjoy listening to music even more, in which case, I never can get enough.

Good luck with your decision, you will be happy either no matter what decision you make, it is for yourself after all.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life
Hi Audioquest,

Thanks for your insightful comments. I had a read of your review of your Apollon table which is very nice btw! I can understand why your platter might require a bit of a nudge to get going after the belts get older; the 80mm platter you're using comes in at 15kg! I was discussing another model with my Dealer; the Fat Bob Plus which has a 60mm (12kg) platter and asked if there would be any benefit in running two or three motors on that table & he said no, other than the ability to play 78's. I'm not sure if the lighter platter plays some part?

Cost and availability ultimately shaped my decision though. Once you added on all the desirable extras on the Bardo, it was actually quite a bit more expensive than the FB Reference, and despite it's slightly superior direct drive design, I couldn't see enough sonic benefit to justify the extra cost. A bit of news; my Dealer offered me an excellent deal on a Fat Bob Plus which I couldn't pass up, so I pulled the trigger and had it specified with a Konstant M-1 ps, SME-5009 tonearm & Miyajima Shilabe cartridge, which leaves extra money for a good phono stage. The 'Plus' is a new model which has a heavier, larger diameter base compared to the 'S' & updated sytling so i'm wrapped! I hope to get the table set up soon :)

Cheers,
Melbguy
I don't know the price of either 'table, but I must say I am very surprised to learn that the Bardo is so much more than Fat Bob. If the difference, even with all those options on the FB Reference, is two-fold in favor of the Transrotor, then I don't wonder that you chose the latter.
Hi Melbguy,

You are quite welcome. I think you made a wise choice for yourself based on many factors. I have never ever considered the TR TMD or belt drive system a hindrance to the sound and quality of the music. It is just astounding; take for example, the leading edge of a drum that cracks from nowhere astonishes me every time. This is a result of music emanating out of the black background so to speak, with explosive and revealing dynamic power. It is this leading edge of the drum thwack or snare that really fascinates among other things. Mids and highs are fantastic and voices are startling realistic with the same sense of emotion and subtle clarity of the breathings, lips parting and all of the voice particulars that appears as if the musician is in the room, which makes for a great listening session. The voices, when they appear out of the black sometimes can make you look around and or jump as you truly think that someone is in the room with you. It never ceases to amaze me how clear and delineated all of these minor details add up to make the greater sum of the music that much better. The Dave Brubeck Time Out song with the drum and cymbal solo really exonerates the attributes from which the source material is played on. Again, the initial attack of the drum is very powerful and in other songs from other groups where the drum has an initial attack such as Aerosmith, Pablo Cruise and ELO, the bass notes and mid bass are incredulous. I am certain that the sum of my system has a lot do with the my experience, however, the source made all of the difference in me being able to tell you about the minor details I am describing, based on the before and after experience with the TMD and 80MM platter. The TR rests on a 290lb Clearaudio Mont Blanc turntable stand and I have never experienced feedback, wow and flutter or otherwise when I subject my system to the full throttle of two 140 watts mono amps and two 15” subs (subs for rock and loud parties).

Regarding the mods and prices compared to the Brinkmann, the TR can add up to cost as much or more as a Brinkmann, I stated the base price in Germany of the TR not including the bigger platter, extra motors, added arm base, tone-arm, and cartridge. Adding all of these mods will add a lot to the price of the TR. Geez, I feel like I am modding my corvette. Also, modding the Bardo will bring up the price as well.

Have fun with your new turntable and keep us informed on how you mod it.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life
Hi Lewm, well no that's not exactly the case. The FB Reference & Bardo tables at list are similar in price, but with the FB Ref you're getting a reference power supply & very good tonearm for the same price, whereas a reference ps & high end tonearm are cost-extras on the Bardo. Certainly the FB Plus is a great value table at it's price point!