VPI Aries versus VPI Classic

I've been told by a couple of dealers that the VPI classis outperforms the Aries. My Aries is about 10 years old and had a retail price of 3800.00. A classic has a retail of of 2700.00. Adjusted for Inflation my table if it was still being made would be close to 5000.00 in todays money. So does the Classic really out perform the Aries?
taters
The Classic is a good table; I have had a lot of VPIs in my 2 tours as a dealer and I have never had or heard a properly set up one of any vintage sound bad. I am just not sure it is an advance on the previous generation Scoutmaster, let alone the Aries. I should have mentioned in my previous post that the TTW ring fit all the VPIs I have tried it as well as the Basis.
I do not think my Aries I is bright. I have heard my table playing at the Dealers' after setup in the same location as the Classic table. We uplugged the classic and plugged in my Aries. My Aries was better but I think I had a better cartridge.
I had several cartridges that I used:

Sumiko Blackbird, Grado Statement Reference 1, Benz Micro Glider

used the phono preamp in my Cary SLP98p F-1, and when needed a step up transformer from Graham Slee. I also was auditioning other phono stages in this time frame, included Cary Audio PH II, several ARC's, the Graham Slee's, PS Audio GCPH (modded, what I kept), Bryston, etc...

Also, I always used the MintLP set up for the cartridges, very accurate, and fairly easy to use. So unless there was just some inherent problem with the arm, or wiring, it sounded bright. I don't know what your experiences have been, but that was mine.

Oh, and the table sat on a specific for that model, Ginko Audio isolation platform. The Clearaudio was to my ear, a much better table all around. I love the Classic, after overcoming the inherent problem of hum that accompanies an integrated motor assembly with a well shielded cartridge (Soundsmith), it's been a great table, that I am not looking to replace.
I have owned both (but now neither), and was able to play them side-by-side with the same cartridge for some months. To my ears, it was no contest - the Aries 1 (w/ the original heavy platter) was the better of the two, by a large margin.

I was surprised because the Aries was using the original JMW 10" arm and the Classic (now the Classic 1) using the 10.5i. Here's my short list:
Aries:
- slightly darker, warmer, more "depth", better bass
- was quieter. Deeper black background
- better speed stability w/o SDS. No advantage with SDS
- JMW 10 arm does not track as well as 10.5i, but OTF VTA adjustment is a big advantage
- was better built and finished, IMHO

Classic (now Model 1):
- more neutral sounding, slightly more detailed
- smaller, so fits better on most racks
- more attractive (arguably)

I did not use a clamp on the Classic - don't like them. Cartridges used were Grado The Reference, Shelter 501 MkII (both stereo & mono), Soundsmith "The Voice", Dynavector 20x. Music was a large collection of jazz, classical, opera and female vocalists.

I am not claiming that this is definitive. These are just a summary of my results from my own testing, and with my own ears. YMMV
Br 3098,

I think your description of the Aries is 100% correct. It's funny how the dealers I have talked too say the classic is better. Maybe they have never compared them side by side.