VPI motor - upgrade to 300 rpm?

I hsve a HW-19 mk 4 plus or something, with the Black knight platter and inverted bearing, along with the SDS, The SAMA is the Hurst 600 rpm. This has run, now, for five years. Recently I have had problems with pitch variation, not easy to locate. The problems have been somewhat solved by glueing the pulley to the shaft and by oiling the motor, helping a lot, but perhaps not fully. Should I order a 300 rpm motor and new pulley? Advice is appreaciated, especially, experiences going from the 600 to the 300 rpm motor.
Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter
I had a problem with the big rock and got rid of it. I have a TNT Jr. And found temperature changes were effecting the sand in the big rock, and throwing off leveling, effecting a few things. Vpi on my Billy bags rack now and improvement was significant. I have a small custom svelte shelf under the motor.
Wow, made it with the nylon string! Turns out I had to use more tension, and a double knot (with the knot at the outside of the span). The nylon thread/string creates very interesting sonic changes, the whole thing seem to be clearer the bass more distinct. So thanks a lot for advice, and I will follow up on the other suggestions too.
Here is the link to the motor you need for the VPI. Order it over the web and they will expedite. Should ship in 14 days. $84 shipped.

http://www.hurst-motors.com/papbdirectdrive.html
I get quite correct 33 rpm (a tiny bit slow) by setting the SDS to 66.00 hz, the top value, and then position the player (or the Samas, but that is harder to do) so that the nylon thread gets a good amount of stretch. The thread is 1 mm thick. For 45 rpm, I get OK speed at 90.00 hz (note, I have 230volts/50hz electricity), although I hear some hum from the motor.

Storyboy, I notice you use a rubber belt rather than a thread in your flywheel system, is this because it sounds better in that configuration? Could you describe the change the flywheel makes to the sound? Is it possible to order the flywheel as a separate part?

Podolaw, thanks, I will check out.
Mike at VPI writes that changing capacitors will make a difference to motor performance:
"The 600 RPm motor should work perfectly when you get the capacitor right for your countries voltage and frequency, it is a critical item and if you are willing to play with different values you can fine tune the motor for lowest noise and running smoothness.
Begin with .22 microfarads and work your way down in value till the motor stops running."
Have anyone tried?