Upgrading a Scout II, Best bang for the buck??

Hi all

I have this TT for a couple of months now and was wondering what I could do to improve it. This is my first TT in many years so I don't have much experience with TT's and I really don't have anything to compare it too.

A little bit about my rig, I am using a NOS Shure V15 XMR, a phonomena II phono stage, a Linkwitz Orion 3 speaker system and matching Thor subs.

I have aligned the cart with a Mint protractor and its sounds very good as compared to my Sony XA5400ES cd player.

I was thinking maybe a VPI ring and center weight, possibly a better stand and maybe a 2" thick peice of granite to place the scout on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Frank
128x128fc911c
I thought a grand, but okay. I would guess it would be a well worthwhile improvement. Hey, its Christmas.
Sometimes older platters appear on Audiogon at decent prices. I personally like the acrylic better than the aluminum. I am sure that someone with a Scoutmaster will be changing to the new platter, changing to a Scoutmaster acrylic would be a good upgrade. Make sure the bearing can be changed to fit the new platter if it doesn't fit the present one.
Thanks for information on the Motor, I was told by a dealer that the ring does fit the Scout II, Is that wrong??

Thanks
Frank
We're looking at $700 for the platter upgrade, $700 for the vpi outer ring, and $150 for the vpi center weight--that's a costly overall upgrade, which is why I recommended the most cost effective upgrade would be to replace the cartridge.
Yes, but the only way to give the cartridge the best tracking path, to get the most out of it, is with the platter and ring. It's vinyl. Everything is related and depends on everything else.