Upgrading a Scout II, Best bang for the buck??

Hi all

I have this TT for a couple of months now and was wondering what I could do to improve it. This is my first TT in many years so I don't have much experience with TT's and I really don't have anything to compare it too.

A little bit about my rig, I am using a NOS Shure V15 XMR, a phonomena II phono stage, a Linkwitz Orion 3 speaker system and matching Thor subs.

I have aligned the cart with a Mint protractor and its sounds very good as compared to my Sony XA5400ES cd player.

I was thinking maybe a VPI ring and center weight, possibly a better stand and maybe a 2" thick peice of granite to place the scout on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Frank
128x128fc911c
The block you found should work fine. One additional thing I've done to mine that has increased it's functionality is to install 1/4" x 20 threaded brass inserts in the bottom. Then I installed BDR carbon fiber cones with threaded brass rods into the inserts. That way I can adjust each of the four corners of the block to get a perfectly level plane for my turntable.
Thanks for the tip Photon46, do you think the maple block is as good as the Gingko cloud 10?

Frank
I am a small VPI dealer and one of the best mods was to replace the stock feet with something like the Star Sound Audio Points. The 1/4 20 threads screw right in and 3 of my customers were very happy with them, another is trying them out now. I sell these but others made of solid brass should also work. I have a Michigan Maple block resting on a VPI TNT platform under a Classic and it works very well; I also had it under a Scoutmaster and Scout. I have FIM ball bearing isolators under the Maple block, this works even better than brass cones, which are also good. I am a FIM dealer also. The VPIs respond well to tweaking and there are many roads to try.
A high output MC cartridge such as the Dynavector DV 20XH will result in best bang for buck improvemnet, IMO.
I added the 300 rpm motor to my Scout and it was a great improvement for not much money. I think the Scout II still comes with the 600 rmp motor.