How can anyone afford this ?

I consider myself a dedicated audiophile. I am 36(which I am guessing is a little younger than the average here) and single. I have been interested in high-end audio since I saw my uncle's Mcintosh and Threshold equipment for the first time when I was 5.
Since joining the workforce and saving a little I have always been trying to put together a nice system on a budget. I do OK financially(I am a systems engineer) but I do live in NYC which may put some of this into perspective.
Over the last 6 months I have struggled to buy(all used on Agon) a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42s and a Threshold CAS2 amp, Chang CLS3200, and cables(I haven't gone out[I don't have a girfriend], purchased anything else and really haven't eaten too much to be able to afford these and it is still a real stretch). I am using the amp with a direct connection from my CD/DVD player(Cambridge Audo Azur 540D...slightly modified[op amps, PS caps, bypass caps] that I have had for almost 10 years). A fellow has a Threshold FET2 series II(to match with the CAS2) he is holding for me but that seems like a pipe dream at this point along with a turntable.
A few years ago the analogue bug hit me.
I had a setup consisting of an Audio Analogue Settanta integrated and a Nottingham Horizon SE turntable with a Rega RB300 tonearm with the Incognto rewire and structural mod. This was not an expensive kit by any stretch but for me it almost put me in the poor house. I had to sell the entire rig to pay my bills and it hurt.
It seems over the last 10 years or so I have not been able to keep a kit for more than 6 months before I had to sell it. Whenever I don't have a rig I am constantly scanning the online Ads lusting for the next bargain to set up a system and cannot even listen to music on a mass market rig(I have been spoiled).
Anyway, I guess my question is how can anyone normal afford this hobby? What type of money do you have to be making to be able to enjoy this hobby.....$100,000/year? $500,000/year? Do you need to be worth millions? $5,000 barely gets you in the door(some interconnects cost more) and you could possibly spend millions. I am not looking to put together a $10,000 system(not even close...and that is modest in this hobby) but if I wanted to I don't see it ever being financially possible. If I had a girlfriend or a family(hopefully someday) I would not event be able to think about this hobby with a good conscience. I guess I am wondering if all these people in this hobby are millionaires? I am close to selling my rig again to pay the bills(the amp needed repair/recap and that was $450). Any advice for an audiophile who lusts to put together a nice rig but can't afford it? Should I get out and save for 5 or 10 years and then try again? Maybe I am in the wrong hobby but it is more addicting that crack to me(and more expensive). Maybe I should be a crackhead instead...that might be the only thing to make me forget about it. Thoughts?
adamd1205
I agree with the comment of buying some quality used equipment on Agon or similar sites (there are a couple more). As a systems engineer, you are probably somewhat mechanically oriented so a little tweaking and repairs can bag you some fine equipment that others may have given up on. I have a treasure in a maplenoll apollo that IMHO, will stack up for quality with most any out there. I had the great luck of finding one that Lloyd walker personally tweaked and sold. The best part, i got the entire setup including a pretty good cartridge for less than 3500. I had a UNIverse cartridge i quickly put on this beast so the sound competes with anything out there. I also own a vintage pair of Klipschorns that I picked up 8 years ago for less than 1800 and had a set of interconnects that by themselves is worth 1000 retail. I had to go to North Carolina to pick up but it gave me an excuse for a road trip. I have several other steals that i got just watching and waiting. You can spend mega-bucks but you dont have to. Lots of people who are tired of a particular system or component will part with them at cents on the dollar.
No doubt that good sounding gear can be had for a low amount of money but pushing performance and refinement is going to cost money and the curve gets harder to climb the further you go. Enjoy what you can afford and work hard to make what you spend really count (which it appears you have been doing).

I have always made my more expensive purchases from a portion of work bonuses so it was my personal reward. I guess I am at a good place with audio now because the last good sized influx of cash I decided that I didn't really want anything so I just bought quite a few LPs.
You have 2 issues
How can anyone afford this? A lot of folks in this forum are solidly in the baby boomer demographic. If you take care of the essentials- family, your life's work, savings/investments, you'll find that stuff that's a stretch at your age is affordable in your late 40's and thereafter- if you take care of the essentials now. For now, focus on analog OR digital (living in NYC, CD's seem more practical for mobility/space issues. OTOH, lots of places to look for vinyl).
Living in NYC- you're paying lots to live there, take advantage of it. You can listen to home audio anywhere, but focus on the things that a big city offers- arts, social outlets, folks who share your interests. Lest I forget- buy shoes on-line.
I would suggest that you try to meet with some designers and modifiers of equipment. You can also join an audio club(BAAS in SF) and get to hear a lot of the new equipment without having to buy it. Some people on Audiogon will let you listen to their systems. All of the above may somewhat satisfy your need to get new stuff. I also agree about tubes, horns, analog, etc. I would stick to older stuff that has stood the test of time. The big breakthrough for me came when I met Ori(Oritek Audio in San Jose). He showed me my new expensive stuff did not compare to some cheaper stuff. His preamp/dac(which in one configuration is the best digital I've ever heard), his modified Dynaco 70(comparable to Lamm), his modified speakers(perfect for my listening room)showed me that I had misspent money. In short, I think you have to get lucky. If you keep going out there and try(and not buy), maybe you will too.
Mceljo got it exactly right. I would like to add: Welcome to the real world! I costs money to buy the best of anything (material), and to complain about it and decry the fact that others can is silly. Lots of advise already on how to buy used, etc. But, I have to take issue with some of the comments about NYC.

Yes, NYC can be an expensive city to live in, but it doesn't have to be; not to the extent expressed here so far. But I think the tendency to exxagerate the problem is indicative of a bigger issue, which is at the root of a lot of what is going on socially and politically in our country. Some of us tend to guage how we are doing economically by how others are doing, instead of finding satisfaction in our accomplishments, and being more at peace with our own lot in life; while being willing to work our butts off to improve that lot. There is a tremendous amount of wealth in NYC, and the fact that some can afford to spend $125 for a car service to the airport doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with having to, or choosing to, pay $50 for a yellow cab instead. Sure, rents in the city are ridiculous, but what is wrong with a twenty minute subway commute to a nice nighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens, where one can pay half or even a third of what one pays in Manhattan. BTW, last time I checked sandwiches at Starbucks were $6.25-$6.99, not the $10 claimed. There are plenty of places to get a good meal for well under $10 in NYC. If someone has a problem walking past the many expensive restaurants on the the way to Mamum's Falafel, then I think they need to do a little soul searching. I don't mean to get heavy about this, but I get a little tired of the crying about the high cost of audio gear. BTW, there are many places to take in great live performances for little or no money in NYC. With several music conservatories, faculty and student recitals can be wonderful; for no money.