Kleos Sibilance

Hello Folks,

I posted this in a Delos thread but I thought I'd better start it's own thread.

I have a new Kleos in a JMW 9 Signature on a Scoutmaster. I am getting sibilance on vocals beyond what I have heard with either a Shelter 501 II or a VPI Ortofon on the same table. My dealer put the Kleos on the wand I had the VPI cart on. I have gone to 1.8g and did not solve it and I have checked the alignment. I brought the rear of the arm down as well. It may be less pronounced but it is still there. Otherwise the Kleos is quite nice. It has 3 or 4 hours on it now. I do not hear misstracking on high level passages, just sibilance and sometimes some grunge on male vocals. It is not on all vocals but it is fairly common.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrobob
I too have a JMW arm. I am using a Benz Ebony LP with absolutely no sibilant issue. Your problem is not a JMW arm issue.
Stringreen, the two cartridges are at the opposite sides of anyone's favor. The LP is flat & boring & used as a calming medicine (like the Cardas speaker cables) while the Kleos is balanced at the extreme razor's point. So, the reflected energy of both is not comparable.

Happy New Year
The arm is certainly an issue.

I speak to dozens of folks with very high level systems on a weekly basis and very few if any use vpi arms. Look at some of the more highly regarded poster's systems here on Audiogon. You won't see many vpi arms in use. And those folks who do eventually wise up and move up.

They are, at best, very average.

Nothing more.

Get yourself a better performing tonearm and that Kleos will sing like a bird.
Robob,
If you really don't hear any mistracking on high pitched tracks, (it seems that your alignment is OK & so in terms of phonostage overload) but you do hear sibilance & grunge, I suggest you, after you get your new arm, to examinate your cable loom : (clean highs, refined mids, but full of body with strong foundation & soundstage completeness).
Overall the problem seems to be a synergy thing : TONALITY
IMHO you need a more capable arm & more sophisticated cables to find calmness & effortless flow & do some experiments with platter MAT.
Thanks for all the replies.

I realize the arm is not state of the art. Remember though, the Signature is quite different from the normal 9".

Not sure it was anything I did but I am hearing less of it. On the other hand, sibilance bothers me so I would like to solve this. I do really like the Kleos otherwise. I have heard high-end carts plenty over the years and many are thin which the Kleos is not.

My dealer had SME but gave it up and his only other turntable brand is Rega which I do not want. I can go to the VPI 10.5i as an upgrade for a grand. You folks think it would work better with the Kleos?

I appreciate the help,
Robert
PS: I have experienced cartridge warmup. My Shelter is that way even more than the Kleos.