The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
I did not hear anything that even remotely look or sound like Maggies at CAF. High efficiency and retro designs did seem to rule FWIW. I heard a more decent mix of "modern" versus more retro sounds though despite physical appearances. So it seems a new trend is retro looks and approaches to deliver that more modern sound. There were a lot of speakers using larger drivers than is often the norm these days there which I thought to be a good thing in general.
I also stopped for a listen at joseph audio room. I was impressed with the sound first and the looks second and the looks were very nice. It was by far the best sound under 20k at that show. I am going to listen further at a dealer in Philly. If you can give a try.
Mapman, Oldcar,
Since you were at the CAF too, what did you think of the GT Audio Works GTA 2 and the Volti Vittora speakers?

The latter looks almost exactly like a Klipsch LaScala but at 12k compared to what you can get a used Klipsch for, I would have to have a real face off to recommend them a that price level.

I guess being a Maggie owner I like the GTA since they use planer and ribbon but had never heard of them before. The guy said he makes them himself and at 3k seemed reasonable but for that you could get Maggie 1.7s and a sub so who knows. They did sound pleasant enough to my ears during a short listen? He called them "Maggie's on steroids" but that is a reach IMHO.

I hope the show continues growing.
I am not a hybrid fan generally but i liked the gts alot based on a limited audition. Maggies on steroids is nit an unreasonable description.

I heard ths voltis also. I loved the looks. The sound wasquite nice at lower volumes i heard these at. Not sold on the value but maybewitha more extended audition. I liked the cathedrals as well and these come in quite a bit lower in price and also had klipsch heritage/vintage altec horn aesthetic appeal.

I coud easily see any of these serving an owner well.