The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
I caught them briefly and liked what I heard.

I am a fan of the BC gear's ability to help bring things to life in a high end way for fairly reasonable cost.
Tiltedhalos,
I was at the Capital Audiofest Friday and it was one of the better sounding rooms but in all honesty I would take my Maggie 3.7 over virtually anything I heard that day.
IMO most of the rooms had poor sound, but in all fairness I was there early the 1st day and perhaps they got the sound better in the various rooms later in the event/weekend. For the most part it is hard to get great sound in hotel rooms though.
Still had a great time and hope you enjoyed it too!
I did not hear anything that even remotely look or sound like Maggies at CAF. High efficiency and retro designs did seem to rule FWIW. I heard a more decent mix of "modern" versus more retro sounds though despite physical appearances. So it seems a new trend is retro looks and approaches to deliver that more modern sound. There were a lot of speakers using larger drivers than is often the norm these days there which I thought to be a good thing in general.
I also stopped for a listen at joseph audio room. I was impressed with the sound first and the looks second and the looks were very nice. It was by far the best sound under 20k at that show. I am going to listen further at a dealer in Philly. If you can give a try.