VPI Classic hum

Got mine a few weeks ago. Installed it with a high-output Benz Ace H cartridge. Loved the sound but there was a hum when I turned the preamp volume past the 10 o'clock position. Later changed to a Clearaudio Concerto, the hum was quieter, but wouldn't go away no matter what I tried.

Then I read the manual closely, and it said something about using shielded interconnects. So I tried a pair of Rega Couple wires, which are made from Klotz cable, and are shielded.

And you know what, the hum just vanished! Now I'm at peace ...

Just to share with those have hum issues with the Classic. Do share your solutions.
bassraptor
Hi All,

I've got a reply from Mike they are going to replace my table with the brand new one. Mike pointed out in his response that "the motor had a eccentricity in the shaft causing it to vibrate more than it should. Probably happened in shipping the first time, very rare when the rotor cracks!!!" Hopefully, I'll get it next week. My original one was in black. I asked Mike to replace it with the walnut one which was not available at the time of my initial purchase. He approved it. So I am in a waiting mode... Keep you posted.

thanks everyone, Alex
Vinyl...., great news. VPI is a great company and Mike is a top drawer guy!! BTW, did you ask Mike what the word "drey" means???

Gotta tell ya though, what you described was a wierd defect. Glad you're getting a new table.
Bifwynne,

Exactly the issue I have. That being said, I have not had much time to work on this. But a bunch of research finds that this cart., needs the arm down 2 degrees headshell to pivot point. I had gotten this from a few people, and then also checked with VPI, as I know they tested all the 2M cartridges. Mike tells me that the 2M Black is an excellent match, as they have run them, but also said the arms needs to be dropped down about 2 degrees down towards the pivot point. Digging further, 2 degrees lower at the pivot is quite a bit, when you realize how much it takes to lower the arm 2 degrees. So I need to work on this a bit.
Vinyl_lover31, glad to see it's worked out. That is the great thing about dealing with VPI.
Bifwynne,

I asked Mike to explain the word "drey", he replied back that never heard this word before and it might be a typo.