VPI Classic hum

Got mine a few weeks ago. Installed it with a high-output Benz Ace H cartridge. Loved the sound but there was a hum when I turned the preamp volume past the 10 o'clock position. Later changed to a Clearaudio Concerto, the hum was quieter, but wouldn't go away no matter what I tried.

Then I read the manual closely, and it said something about using shielded interconnects. So I tried a pair of Rega Couple wires, which are made from Klotz cable, and are shielded.

And you know what, the hum just vanished! Now I'm at peace ...

Just to share with those have hum issues with the Classic. Do share your solutions.
bassraptor
Vinyl..lover, how did you make out with the TT. VPI finish yet? You must be frustrated as heck.

As I said above, I use the SS VPI Zephyr (MI) and DV 20X2 H (MC). Both are well shielded and both sound well, although I think the Zephyr is better. Macdadtexas and I drive the same front-end and share similar views about the Zephyr's performance. I am very pleased now because I stopped fussing with the carty set up, resonance and hum issues.

I hope Mike can pin-point the issue for you AND resolve it. Let's face it, from the tip of the stylus up to the input of your phono stage. how much is there to "drey" over. Ask Mike what "drey" means.
I am using the balanced (XLR) connection out of my VPI junction box. I can turn the preamp's volume control to its limit without hum or noise. The background is totally black
No hum here with a current Classic 1, with a 2M Black and Signal cables shielded silver series with Copper Bullet RCA's.
Wayne.., how well does yhour Ortofon 2M Black mate with the Classic 1's 10.5i SE arm? I tried it several months ago and had problems. Still not sure if my problems related to compatibility, or the carty's output voltage, or even a defective carty.

I found the 2M to be very bright and analytical to the point of listening fatigue. In addition, the output distorted (hissed and crackled) when the sylus tracked record grooves with high-dynamic music. I have since switched over to the DV 20X2H and the SS VPI Zephyr and am quite satisfied.
Hi All,

I've got a reply from Mike they are going to replace my table with the brand new one. Mike pointed out in his response that "the motor had a eccentricity in the shaft causing it to vibrate more than it should. Probably happened in shipping the first time, very rare when the rotor cracks!!!" Hopefully, I'll get it next week. My original one was in black. I asked Mike to replace it with the walnut one which was not available at the time of my initial purchase. He approved it. So I am in a waiting mode... Keep you posted.

thanks everyone, Alex