Does EAR324 phono stage sound like tubes ?

i like the idea of being able to adjust the loadings of the phono stage... but does ear 324 sound anything close to being tubes ?
anyone who has would appreciate it- also considering the 834p or 88pb but the tube swapping is a bit hassle for finding good nos tubes...
the different load settings seems a good idea.
thanks !
nolitan
Nolitan
I was told by Tim those are NOS Ei (A-frame)using Philips Holland technology. Without comparison to Telefunken/Siemens, yes they sound quite good already.

Q: V1 & V2 seems like those have to be matched. How about V3 and V4 ?

They run in constant current source circuitry in which left & right channels pass thru each tube simultaneously from V1, V2, V3 then V4(the last one).

Brand may vary in the way we want. I usually put the best matched Telefunken in V1 & V2 (the first two positions) and mix with one Siemens/Philips/Ei in either V3 or V4 to fine-tune the sound I want.

VBR
Dan
Dan

i see, so NOS Ei... any ideas other than Tim were to source them ?
Yes, they sound pretty good actually.
In what ways does the tele better the stock tubes even just the two front tubes ?

Thanks
Those NOS Ei(A-frame) were no longer produced. Tim didn't tell me where to source them. Look for Amperex Philips PCC88 (A-frame) you may find they looks very similar.

Q: In what ways does the tele better the stock tubes even just the two front tubes ?

A: I am now using Telefunken in V1, V2 & V4, Siemens in V3. Everything becomes more precise. Good recordings become more authentic. Poor recordings are still full of recording defects. Accuracy in VTF, VTA/SRA, alignment become more significant. Differences between carts becomes more apparent. More important, I feel like sitting in a concert hall when playing some really good stereo recordings(mostly from 60's & 70's).

VBR
Dan
Thanks Dan- I dont think i would like my phono stage to be really revealing as what you have described.
It becomes too x-ray vision defecting the flaws of the recordings & one system flaws.
Thanks again though!
Thanks for sharing, Nolitan.

In my system, I do prefer the two transducers(cart and speakers)play the major role in establishing the so-called sonic signature(that's why I may keep buying more carts to "refresh" my system). In this case, turntable, tonearm &, hopefully, phono amp have to be as neutral & revealing as possible.

That's why I am confident when we optimize our LP setup, the carts I gave comment upon will perform very close to my descriptions.

I have my bottom line for so-called "neutrality and revealing"(if there are any actually), that is, at least 70% of my favorite records have to sound ënjoyable, musical, full of emotions and authentic.

Each of us may have his different approach. To me, the audio bug grown by top-end carts always bite me harder...

Dan