Does EAR324 phono stage sound like tubes ?

i like the idea of being able to adjust the loadings of the phono stage... but does ear 324 sound anything close to being tubes ?
anyone who has would appreciate it- also considering the 834p or 88pb but the tube swapping is a bit hassle for finding good nos tubes...
the different load settings seems a good idea.
thanks !
nolitan

Showing 20 responses by nolitan

Dan

Many thanks for the post. I think you answered most of my concern. Its really now a matter of going w/ either the tube or solid state counterpart of the EAR.
Is anyone here using a external step up on the 324 on the mm mode ?
Lundahl, altec , hashimoto and Bob's Cinemag are what comes to my mind. Any experience with any of these on the 324 ?
Would it be too much gain if the cart had an output of .4mv to .6mv along w/ an external step up ?
Agree, the more we spend especially for higher models, the more revealing it becomes... sometimes too revealing to the point that it becomes somewhat analytical-revealing the flaws of your cart, arm, table , alignment,etc...
what tubes have you guys used in your 88PB ? How are the stock tubes ? are they listenable ?
thanks guys!
OPuss88- thanks! i haven't nailed down with which phono stage I'll end up with but those are my shortlist.
I'm sure all are good and it boils down to preference on one's system.
I understand both the 88pb and 324 has international step up for use of low output mc carts.
Has anyone compared the internal step up of these two units with an external step up transformer available ?
Is the external better or worst than the internal step up ?

THis is getting interesting thread.
i heard the 324 at my AD and did find it a bit grainy compared to tube phono stages.
88pb is next on the list.
Dan, so far, what carts have you used w/ the 88pb ?
thanks
DanKW,
Thanks.. So far, all of them works well with the 88PB ?
Another phono stage that someone recommended is the K&K Maxx out phono stage... Its a kit though.
Dan

i see, so NOS Ei... any ideas other than Tim were to source them ?
Yes, they sound pretty good actually.
In what ways does the tele better the stock tubes even just the two front tubes ?

Thanks
Compared to tube phono stages, yes the 324 did sound a tad grainy if you really listen to it carefully.
However if possibly fed thru an all tube system, i don't think you can hear it. Nonetheless i did appreciate the flexibility of its inputs (i wish more manufacturers) would adapt those kind of settings. Makes life easier if you have multiple cartridges.
Hello again Dan,

What tubes (combo) are you using with your 88PB ?
Does all 4 tubes have to be the same brand ?
Would be interested what tube combo you find "best" with the 88pb.

Thanks.
Dan

Thanks for reply. Are the stock tubes of the 88pb EI ?
I feel they sound quite good already.
On the positioning, V1 & V2 seems like those have to be matched. How about V3 and V4 ?

Thanks again.
Thanks Dan- I dont think i would like my phono stage to be really revealing as what you have described.
It becomes too x-ray vision defecting the flaws of the recordings & one system flaws.
Thanks again though!
Dan

I understand your situation & I've come across with audiophiles and among friends with similar systems like yours.
And its enjoyable & to their lacking- to each his own.
Personally I would prefer a slightly more forgiving system -allowing one to play not so good LP pressing to very good audiophile type pressings...
Again- this hobby is so changing and evolving...

Thanks !!
DAN,

If budget allows, that is a very ideal approach. that way you got the situation covered as the vinyl presses of past and present are very different and different carts reacts differently to each different pressings.
Cool set-up!
i did have the opportunity to listen to the 324s with and without a SUT.I cant hear any hum. Its one of the very quiet phono stage i have heard.
There might be some other problem lying around in the chain.