Anybody own any direct-to-disc LP's?

I remember in the mid 70's direct-to-disc LP's were being touted. As I can remember, the concept sure sounded like a good idea. I was in college and had just bought my first receiver back then and could barely afford cut-outs or promotional LP's from my local record store. No way could I afford the premium prices for the direct to disc LP's. Decades later when I eventually found my way to high end audio, direct-to-disc had long vanished. Were they that good?
128x128mitch4t
Sidssp, that is simply not true.I started in the early 60s and by the 80s reel to reel was essentially dead. I gave away my considerable collection of prerecorded tapes sometime in the 70s, despite using Revox, Tandberg, Ferrograph and several others I never got the same quality I got from LPs and my LP playback equipment them was primitive compared to now. If you are talking about 30 IPS half track I would agree that it was very good but only the pros used it and not that many of them.
Stanwal, I agree, and no one is a bigger open reel fan than I am I (Otari MX5050BII with outboard tubed tapehead preamp). The best tapes are indeed superlative but so are the best LPs.
idssp, you are right; LPs were mocked as not any good. It is also true that reel to reel tapes were still improving based on technology invented by the Germans. I will not listen to close to master copies of music on r2r as they will ruin you, and I don't want to have to deal with r2r again.

My experience with the Laser record player also troubled me in demonstrations at CES it was at least as good as tapes, but the normal tt was unable to keep up.

There is now the Tape Project with redone r2rs and excellent tapes. I did listen to one and loved it, but I got away without investing.
If you can find a copy of "For Duke" D2D by M&K Realtime, your doubts about D2D will vanish. I also found a treasure one day back in the 80s in a cut-out bin. It was a D2D, 45rpm RCA of Beethoven's Passionata. It was recorded in Japan. Difficult to track due to the wide dynamic range, but sounds awesome with the right cartridge.
Another great D2D album is "Just Friends" by LA4 (Ray Brown et al)
Fantastic recording, as is the "For Duke" previously mentioned...
b