When does analog compete with digital?

With vinyl becoming all the rage, many believe (perhaps mistakenly) that a budget of $1K will allow them to bring their analog front end up to par with their digital. I would like a reasoned assessment of this issue.

How much time, money, and expertise do you think is necessary before one can seriously claim that their analog front end can compete with their digital? What characteristics, if any, are simply incommensurable between these two mediums? Let's use my system as an example.

Personally, I tried to build an analog front-end that focused on texture/warmth (as opposed to dynamics), but I still feel as though something is missing. Trouble is, I can't quite put my finger on it. I'd be grateful for comments/suggestions (system in sig)
jferreir
Michael Fremer himself a man who is a huge proponent of quality analogue playback states that one can get great analogue playback by even buying a good new starter table for around $350 with included cartridge.

Add a decent phono preamp and you get excellent. Maybe step up for a few $$$ more a better cartridge and you're set on your way in this hobby for a few $$$. How does it compare to quality digital sound? Who knows? It's all subjective. But IMO my most enjoyable playback experiences come from good vinyl discs playing back on my system.
My Dual 1264 with vintage Goldring cart playing through a vintage Yamaha receiver in my second system is worth way less than $1000 but darn if it does not put out some most enjoyable sounds these days! I've had the Dual and Goldring for a good 20+ years or so now but it sounds the best ever on the Yamaha that I picked up only a couple years back for only $65 used on ebay.
The best front end I've heard is a $35,000 turntable (with arm and cartridge) that was installed and tweaked over several visits by the TT distributor. So, I guess analog wins, for now. That said, until I heard this particular TT, while I could hear what people liked about analog, I considered the whole thing personal choice, similar to the SS/Tube debate, with digital coming out on top most of the time, IMO.
To paraphrase the great Mike Myers (as the crazy Scotsman shop owner on Saturday Night Live), "If it's not analog it's CRAP!!!"

There I said, it. Digital better than all but a $35k vinyl rig?

Hahahahahahah, that's good.
"Digital better than all but a $35k vinyl rig?"

I didn't say that Tex. Draw!