proper use of arc protractor ?

For about a week now I have been talking with some of you here and trying to determine if my set up an the Mint protractor I purchased are compatible.Never once did I consider that I might be doing something wrong. If someone could walk me through best practice in as much detail as they can stand it would be very helpful.I am a my wits end after a week of messing around please help.
128x128wilson667
"It is permissible to rotate the Tractor to accomplish such"
Not sure I understand this statement.
Once tip is on arc line of outer point, is it permissible to rotate the protractor (not the platter- if not why not?) and place tip on inner point?
Is this correct?
Thanks.
No, one should not then rotate-move the tractor when going in between inner, and outer points of the arc of protractor.

Only initially, if the protractor itself is grossly off the mark. If one cannot trace the Arc perfectly, one could possibly have the Protractor positioned slightly incorrectly.

One can then move the protractor, but then must start all over again with the overhang adjustment.

I think I have this right. Mark
If you could let us know where you live, perhaps a fellow Audiogoner would be willing to come over and help. Using the MintLP or any other arc protractor is not difficult, just time consuming. I have greatly benefitted from watching a couple experienced audiophiles walk me through the procedure. Getting 98% of the way there makes a big difference. The magic really happens in the last 2%

It appears that you are beyond the standard degree of frustration that can come with trying to nail cartridge alignment. This exponentially increases the risk of destroying a cartridge or damaging a tonearm. Relax and take a break for a day or two before approaching it again.
No doubt, it is much easier to show someone how to use an arc protractor than explain it in a forum.

There is an infinite number of arcs on the platter that match the arc of the protractor. However, there is one and only one arc that will also match the radius of the effective length of the tonearm from the mount position. (Actually, there are two arcs that match this but we don't care about the one on the right side of the spindle, unless we want to play backward.)

This is why the arc needs to be moved in the beginning of the process. The idea is to have the stylus land on one side of the arc at one extreme end of the arc, and land on the opposite side of the arc at the other extreme end. So, you can move the arc, and/or the cart until you find a position where the stylus is hitting just a little off the line at either extreme. That should leave the last adjustments needed only in the slots, and that is where the platter and protractor can be locked in position.

LIke I said, it is much easier to show someone than explain it. But once you figure it out, or see it, the first time it becomes very second nature.