Vinyl pops and clicks: Can they be eliminated??

I have a Mobile Fidelity issue of "Close to the Edge" by Yes. The LP is at least 20 years old or more. Always help up well until today. There is now a skip that repeats over and over. Other pops and clicks don't interrrupt the flow of music like this one. I checked several things: cartridge, tracking, stylus, and also damped cleaned the LP, but it continued to skip repeat in that one place. It may be time to retire this piece of vinyl, but if I could inexpensively repair or correct that skip, it would be great. However,I intend to replace this album with the Japanese SHM-CD import when the reissue is available again. All advice welcome
sunnyjim
Come on, Dougdeacon, the guy asks for advice and you dig up a a two year old post, throw it in his face, and slap his hand with a ruler for imagined impoliteness and inadequate record care. Is that really helping anyone?
Man Dougdeacon, you seem to be on a rampage, judging from the responses of yours I have read lately. I may have missed some friendly post- I'm just stating what I'm seeing. Lighten up. :-)
I want to thank the membership for advice that was helpful and also "friendly". To those who ask about the state of my health, I appreciate your concern; and, I am much better. Thank you and Adios, Jim
Glad you feel better. Now, why did you post an extremely general question about pops and clicks with a "new" condition that does, quite honestly, sound like simple mis-handling? ;-) I'm just askin'!
Dan ed, In my response to DD, I used the term "negligent in record care" Though, it may have been a poor choice of words, I was attempting to explain to DD my impression of his assessment. I have approximately 65 LPS; Most were bought new; some bought as used. The MoFi in question was a gift from that company to audio salesmen who shops offered their products---this was approx 1984. The "repeat skip" problem was to me a curious anomaly which I thought worthy of discussion on Audiogon. Within that context,I offered the general question of eliminating pops and clicks. The repeat-skip problem is only on "Close to the Edge" NOT the other LPS in my modest collection. As indicated in the 2008 "thread" I had just gotten back into vinyl by purchasing a Rega P3-24. I was without a table for at least 18 months, and so did not play any records. After the Rega purchase I bought the Premier spray cleaner from Music Direct and it worked OK; I also used a Hunt Brush cleaner. After I took ill, nothing was played until October 2009. The Premier spray can languished on the shelf and also the spray cap was blocked.... I always took good care of my records. However, the Yes album cited was played at possibly 100 times, with 4 different cartridges and 3 different tables over 26 years. Some of my other LPS have some pops and surface noise, but as Theo responded, it is the "nature of the vinyl beast" BTW, I have MoFi LPS of Jethro Tull's" Aqualung" and Bowie's "Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust" which were also part of the MoFI's generosity, and that still sound excellent with seemingly quiet surfaces. I hope this clarifes your question. I hope the membership does not lapse into deconstructing posts, spooking each other to look over their shoulder That is neither fun nor courteous. Thanks, Jim