Vinyl pops and clicks: Can they be eliminated??

I have a Mobile Fidelity issue of "Close to the Edge" by Yes. The LP is at least 20 years old or more. Always help up well until today. There is now a skip that repeats over and over. Other pops and clicks don't interrrupt the flow of music like this one. I checked several things: cartridge, tracking, stylus, and also damped cleaned the LP, but it continued to skip repeat in that one place. It may be time to retire this piece of vinyl, but if I could inexpensively repair or correct that skip, it would be great. However,I intend to replace this album with the Japanese SHM-CD import when the reissue is available again. All advice welcome
sunnyjim
Dougdeacon, Yes, I did post in August 2008 regarding record care advice. As my post indicates, I take good care of my records. This is the first time in 40 years, I encountered the "skipping" problem I described. I have no intention of dumping the collection I have as suggested by Sid42, or the Rega table which I just upgraded with their TTPSU AC regulator. However, in my recent post I ask for advice, not to be taken to the woodshed for being negligent in record care. Unfortunately, for me in September 2008, I became seriously ill which rsulted in a seizure and other attendant medical complications. My audio system lay silent for over a year as I recovered, and was not my top priority. I do recall reading the posts that were submitted in answer to my 2008 inquiry and am grateful to the members for taking the time to respond. Nevertheless, I am now less inclined to ask for advice as a consequence of your response and Sid42.....Jim
Hello Sunnyjim, I hope you're doing much better then you were in Sept '08... Your priorities are definitely in order, BTW. Anyway, my experience is: I have about 2 or 3 thousand Lp's, since the late '60's... played them all on a very nice '70's turn table with curved "S" shaped type arm.. The '70's table was a very good sounding piece and was set up properly, but some new records would skip and repeat or skip over, so, I just put those LP's away:( Fast forward to 2004, I splurge and purchase a Basis 2000 series table with Vector model-3 tone arm -which is a straight arm and, Benz Micro ACE cartridge... Now, for some reason those old LP's don't skip. Clicks and pops are something that just come with the territory.
Sunnyjim,
I'm sorry to hear about your health problems and sincerely hope you've fully recovered and are feeling well. That said, I don't see how it's relevant to the condition of this LP or your records in general.

You requested record care advice, ignored it as far as anyone can tell, and are now back asking for more record care advice because you're having a problem.

If you don't wish to be "taken to task for being negligent in record care" then please consider two suggestions:
1) try describing the methods you've adopted since receiving the previous guidance, none of us is a mind reader; and
2) don't post evidence of negligent record care! ;-)

OTOH, if having your questions read and answered seriously feels to you like being "taken to task", then perhaps you should indeed consider not asking questions. Peace.
Come on, Dougdeacon, the guy asks for advice and you dig up a a two year old post, throw it in his face, and slap his hand with a ruler for imagined impoliteness and inadequate record care. Is that really helping anyone?
Man Dougdeacon, you seem to be on a rampage, judging from the responses of yours I have read lately. I may have missed some friendly post- I'm just stating what I'm seeing. Lighten up. :-)