Azimuth and the Fozgometer

Finally received the Fozgometer after a 2 month backorder. In the past I have always used a loupe and a front surface mirror to set the azimuth on my Tri-Planar with Dynavector XV-1S cartridge. According to the meter, I was very close to a correct azimuth. I wasn't prepared for the effects that a very slight adjustment would make. Nailing the azimuth has brought my soundstage into tight focus. I have never experienced this kind of solid imaging in my system.
I know that the $250 price tag is a bit steep for something that won't get a lot of use, but this is not a subtle improvement. There are other ways of measuring azimuth, that I am not very familiar with, but I would doubt that they are as easy to use as the Fozgometer.
128x128czapp
Capnbob, As Larry inferred. There is no doubt that one could do the measurements done by the Foz "manually" with a proper test LP, a fine quality voltmeter, and/or a 'scope. The Foz is a matter of convenience and rapidity, plus you can be uninformed and still get it right, electrically at least. Also, good 'scopes and meters are not exactly cheap. Nor are the brains to use them correctly common among us audiofools. My only questions about the Foz are like those stated by Larry; I really would like to know exactly how it arrives at its "correct" azimuth setting, because there is more than one opinion on the definition of correct azimuth, even in the electrical sense.
I used Mac The Scope software before I used the Fozgometer. The results were identical. However, the Fozgometer appears to use a filter because the needle read out is very steady. It's also extremely sensitive to the slightest azimuth adjustment (duh) and can take the signal directly from the tonearm (no need to go through the phono stage). I have a low output MC cart and it gave plenty of signal. Easy-peezy, and looking at high magnification, it's perfectly straight.
If with Fosgate, all you are doing is balancing the crosstalk between L and R, then I think it is not worth it.

You need to take into account the difference in output between L and R on a cartridge.

I setup a Grado The Statement by eye (which is the way John Grado recommended along with a tip to stay away from test gear and test records) and then measured with Adjust+ Pro. The reading showed the same exact phase angle and crosstalk difference of less than 0.5 db between L and R. So in this case, both the eye and test gear method worked quite well.
In the included manual for the Fozgometer this is whats said about its way of determining azimuth.

The Fozgometer represents a breakthrough for adjusting phono azimuth. The Fozgometer incorporates a "Log Ratio Detector" developed for surround processor steering logic circuits to measure channel separation over a wide range of signal levels down to -70db. The readings are virtually independent of overall signal levels, and can be made with a wide range of input signals without effecting accuracy. It is a small portable battery powered unit that is used in conjunction with a test record. It measures channel separation, channel balance, and signal direction quickly and accurately.

I borrowed a friends and just because of its ease and ability to get you so close to right on i bought one for myself. I understand about the hands on of vinyl playback and its one of the things i love. In the case of the Fozgometer the time saved is a valuable thing for me as i can spend more time in the listening chair instead of up and down to the back room for adjustments. I believe this tool should be right there with your wally tracker and digital scale.
I couldn't agree more!!! The more time in the chair the better!!! I too borrowed a friends and was able to adjust my stylus to a perfect match, noting that I was off about 2db. Well it made a pretty big improvement in sound quality to say the least!!!