anyone else experience this problem?

I have a 1 month old VPI Classic turntable and whenever I turn it on I hear a grinding noise. Speed is stable and there is no noise once the platter is moving.
underdog
Post removed 
Underdog...check out this thread: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1238953223&read&keyw&zzvpi=classic

Go to page 2 and read the entries from Nolitan. He mentions two issues when he got the Classic: 1) he needed to give the platter a push to help it get up to speed and 2) he heard a squeeky sound on start-up. I don't know if it's similar to what you are hearing but you may want to send him an email because I believe the fix was to get a new motor. Other threads have mentioned a "popping" sound from the motor when you first start it up. It sounds like there is a break-in period to the motor until it settles in. This may still not be what is causing your "grinding" sound but just a thought. Finally, have you tried calling VPI or your dealer and asked them about this?
Problems that surface early in a VPI purchases are best taken care of by returning the unit to the dealer and having it completely replaced, at no cost to you. Otherwise, your sanity of this defective unit will be with you forever.