disappointing VPI 16.5 performance??

I just got my 16.5 up and running. I chose to throw some challenging records at it right away because they are really the reason I got the VPI. One is an older recording of a couple oboe sonatas. The other is a brand new Metallica re-master by MoFi.both continue to have high surface noise: the oboe recording seems to have tiny spots all over it, like spotty glasses after washing dishes. It was like that when I got it. The Metallica was horribly contaminated right out of the jacket: debris, "gunk", paper strands, etc.

I'm using MoFi Deep Cleaner, Super Wash, and their brushes, with a double distilled rinse with the VPI brush. Is there something else I can try. There has been some improvement, but not as much I'd like to see.
ethanw
Make sure the pickup brush is at the correct angle to pick up all the liquid. If the record is in really bad shape (and no new records should qualify) you may need the scrub the surface and try multiple washings.
Post removed 
I know it is a total OFF - but I have some really gunky cds and dvds and nothing seem to clean them up. I have tried cheap solutions (soap, alcohol) and ezpensive ones (Optrix, Finyl) and no luck. Any idea? Thanx
You might run a search regarding steam cleaning your records. I own a VPI 16.5 and use both steam and disc doctor cleaning fluid. The combination of steam and fluid has worked miracles on many of my used and new records. I have purchased a few records where dirt has been pressed into the vinyl, and nothing seems to make a difference. Most of those recording are from Verve & Rhino. Anyways, give the steam cleaning a shot! I don't think you will be disapointed.

Good Luck!
Great machine use Record Reserch labs fluids.Use Mobil Fidelity brush as well.