Do I really need R2R ?

While on CES I have came across R2R presentation, I guess it were folks from tapeproject.com.
It was first time for me I have seen and heard any high-end R2R. To my total surprise it was the best sound of the Show. It sounded better then the most expensive separates from Wadia ($35k) or even top LP rigs. It got me thinking. Just recently I have bought Nakamichi CR7-A. It is incredible machine, it can record audiophile quality CD played by AA Cap mkII and I could not hear any difference. Quite accomplishment considering that it coasted me only 1/10 of the Capitole price.

I wondering how Nacks would sound on audiophile prerecorded tape. Is there a place/website I still can buy one ?
Is there maybe some kind-of-project for Decs like tapeproject.com for R2R, where I can get tapes recorded from Master Tape to hear what Nacamichi is really capable of ?

I have compared specs of Technics RS-1500 with Nacamichi CR-7A, looks like pretty good match to me:

Technics RS-1500

Frequency Response: 20Hz-25kHz 7.5ips
S/N: 60dB
THD: 0.8-1%
Wow-and-Flutter: 0,03%
Chanel separation: >50dB
Erasing ration: >65dB
Speed fluctuation: 0.1% at 7.5ips
power consumption: 120W
weight: 26kg

Nakamichi CR-7A:

Frequency Response: 18Hz-21kHz
S/N: 66dN Dolby B, 72dB Dolby C
THD: 0.8-1%
Wow-and-Flutter: 0,027-0,048%
Chanel separation: >37dB
Erasing ration: >60dB
Speed fluctuation: 0,5% at 7.5ips
power consumption: 55W
weight: 9kg

Thank you for reading.
sorlowski
my own recent experience. Bought a stock Studer A810 from audiogon end of last year. Got it modified to accept stock electronic as well as Tube Repro by Bottlehead. Before I receive my Tube Repro, I was playing the tapeproject tape with stock electronic. Its didnt float my boat. With Tube repro its a different issue. I like it much better.
In conclusion ,at least for me, if you wish to go in R2R route, you need to modified the recorder to accept external electronic
I would say that you are better off without R2R. I have a modified Otari R2R machine with outboard tape head preamp and I wouldn't be without them. But then I have hundreds of open reel tapes and am willing to put up with the MAJOR inconveniences of open reel. This is the ultimate "hair-shirt" medium and you have to commit a lot of money and energy to make it work for you.

The Tape Project tapes mentioned above cost $500 per performance for instance. The only major source of pre-recorded open reel tapes is Ebay, and boy is THAT a crapshoot. To make matters worse the tapes and machines are decades old, except for those Tape Project tapes. And the tape decks need regular service by an experienced tech. Am I changing your mind?
That what I was afraid of, expensive maintenance, and need for modified R2R. And there limited choice of music. As far as SACD is concerned I have mid priced SONY DVP-S9000ES, and high-end AA Cap mkII. There is no comparison, SONY sound like a crap, actually even much worse them 12 years old Arcam Alpha 5 I still have (I was so disappointed). Cheap turntable I have, beats it. That's why I'm going back in time hardware wise. And to ease my mind I need to hear what Nakamichi is capable of, on tapes recorded from AA Cap it is beyond reach of my SONY SACD. How good it would be, if I could get tape recorded from some master tape, it really scares me.
Damn right, you should be scared. Only get a r2r if you're physically fit enough to deal with the throngs of hot, young, buxom audiobabes who will permanently encamp themselves in your listening room. A r2r is more trouble than it's worth, but if you're man enough... Owning one has taken years off my life -- but I'm smiling!
Damn right, you should be scared. Only get a r2r if you're physically fit enough to deal with the throngs of hot, young, buxom audiobabes who will permanently encamp themselves in your listening room. A r2r is more trouble than it's worth, but if you're man enough... Owning one has taken years off my life -- but I'm smiling!

I have three, and I can tell you, I have to beat those hot young girls off with a stick.

A_L