Best TT plinth material, cost no object

It is said that the best material with which to build a loudspeaker cabinet is LEAD, the second best is concrete and the third is Aluminum. Only the third has been adapted by the industry, for obvious reasons.

Internal and extraneous vibrations need to be dampened or eliminated if sound smearing is to be reduced,

Now to the turntable; remove it from the influence of vibrations, internal vibrations not withstanding, and the vinyl should sound better.

Not all of us can put the turntable outside on the sidewalk where only the elements can affect the sound, but can we make the plinth so HEAVY that we can come close to removing the turntable from the sound room entirely?

Can a lead plinth, not too practical, get us as close as possible to putting the turntable outside, on the concrete walk?

Your thoughts, Ken
kftool
Hi Ken,

I'll be interested to learn of your experiences with the Minus K device. I should expect this would approach if not represent the zenith of isolation.

Regards,
Sam
Dear Raul,
Till today IMHO and with all respect to everybody we only have or are: charlatans on the subject.
I don't believe that there IS a "best" TT plinth material.
Just as there are tonearms made of aluminium, titanium, wood, carbon-fibre and plastic all competing at the same level, indicates to me that all materials have some benefits and some disadvantages and it's really the implementation and compromises made, which determine the ultimate worth of a component such as a turntable or arm IMHO?

Just as we debate whether the virtues of DD, belt drive, rim drive or idler drive for turntables will tell us which is BEST, there will never be universal agreement.

So instead of calling all the turntable designers "charlatans"?.....let's be grateful that throughout the last 50 year history of turntable design and manufacture, they have provided us with a practical 'laboratory' of drive theory and materials application from which we can learn an immense amount if only we knew how?

Regards
Henry
Dear Raul, I think it is a bit too strong to use the word "charlatan" in this regard. In English a charlatan is a "deliberate liar". If anything, most of us are only guilty of generalizing too broadly from relatively limited direct experience or controlled experimentation, where even in the best of circumstances, the results are based on subjective judgement. So, I can only say that seating the Lenco, Denon DP80, and SP10 Mk2 in slate plinths where I have also coupled the tonearm to the solid slate (no discrete armboard) results in making these three different tables sound much more alike than they did before. And they are all much more neutral; they have lost colorations that most of us can associate with the three products. They are more neutral without being "dead" sounding; the liveliness associated with idler- and direct-drive is still very much in evidence. Ergo, IMO, in this little experiment, slate is good.
Dear Ken, I take it you must reside in the Richmond, VA, area, if you live near Howard. He currently has my Kenwood L07D motor and power supply for parts upgrades and calibration. I look forward to having it back here in Bethesda, MD, for my first listen. We aren't too far apart.
Dear Halcro: I use that word ( maybe wrong word ) because I read it in a post here. I don't know what means for sure in English and that's why I posted what means in Spanish: talk with out sure foundation.

The TT subject is an " old " one and everybody talk on different TT topics but I can't see true " solutions ". As I posted IMHO the TT subject can be solve through science but the fact is ( I don't know why. ) that no one consider the " science road " like a true solution or like an alternative to all those " common sense " in the last 50 years.

Henry, please change the " charlatan " word ( it is not important, only a dramatization. ) and take a look to all TT manufacturer websites, TT pro-reviews and threads/posts on this forum, what you can find are " talk " and retoric but not scientific/test/measures/proves that support true TT solutions to so many TT " subjects "/problems.

Now my questions are: why no one take the science road? what's wrong with? there is something that we can't understand about? is that so complex that preclude the use of science for an integral TT solution?

What do you think?

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.