Best TT plinth material, cost no object

It is said that the best material with which to build a loudspeaker cabinet is LEAD, the second best is concrete and the third is Aluminum. Only the third has been adapted by the industry, for obvious reasons.

Internal and extraneous vibrations need to be dampened or eliminated if sound smearing is to be reduced,

Now to the turntable; remove it from the influence of vibrations, internal vibrations not withstanding, and the vinyl should sound better.

Not all of us can put the turntable outside on the sidewalk where only the elements can affect the sound, but can we make the plinth so HEAVY that we can come close to removing the turntable from the sound room entirely?

Can a lead plinth, not too practical, get us as close as possible to putting the turntable outside, on the concrete walk?

Your thoughts, Ken
kftool
Buconerro,

Your comment regarding using a base designed for electron microscopes might seem out in left field but the thought also crossed my mind. A year or so ago I looked into devices designed by Minus K. It's their business to isolate electron microscopes and other sensitive devices from vibration. The theory behind their design was convincing enough that I asked them to build one for my table. It was built to isolate a 750 lb load from lateral and vertical vibrations lower than those I should encounter. When the beast is assembled I'll see how well it works.

Ken
Lewm,

That is one of the many questions my wife continues to ask me.

Since I began the project I've gone through a few changes that have ALL pushed off the date of completion. The last was a year ago when I decided to add a 50 lb lead disc to the platter. I located a foundry to cast it, a tool and die shop to machine it and then months to have Sota machine a longer vacuum spindle and then put it all together. The new platter is staring at me right now.

Between Albert and a good friend in our local audio group, who hosts the Kenwood L 07D website, I thought I'd look into a direct drive table. A year or so ago I found a Denon DN 308 on Audiogon and bought it. This table is beautiful, except for the mdf plinth which will have to bite the dust, and had I bought it before I started the monster I would've saved $$$.

I have no misgivings about finishing the table I began 3 years ago but the urgency has diminished, SLIGHTLY!

The bottom line is that it's fun to build things. Once the project is finished you need to find something else to build or just enjoy the project you just finished; how easy is that to do?

Ken
Oilmanmojo,

Before I had a lead platter cast I bought a Maplenoll table that was supposed to have a 35 lb platter. I bought it on Audiogon for $750 and thought I got a deal.
When I got it the platter weighed 8 lbs. It's all still in the box; one of these days I'll sell it.

Ken
Dear Kftool: I don't know which one is your first passion: music or build the hardware to enjoy music.

It is clear to me that no one goes with your dedication ( DIY ) to build audio items with that in deep passion if does not has an in-deep passion for the music.
I applaud that passion, go a head!!!!, we came to this " world " to be actors to transcend: good.

Now, as a DIY you don't have all the answers ( the right ones ) to your TT project and that's why you are asking about.

I can't help you because I don't have the precise answer you are looking for but if you permit me the thread bring to me some thoughts on the TT subject.

This is not the first thread where exist a dialogue about TT plinth, many threads on this subject with out any single precise answer: only people talking and talking and talking with out clear, tested and precise foundation. This has a name: charlatan ( in spanish this is what is a charlatan. ), and this include me.

I know that many of us that are not professional and commercial TT designers do not have the knowledge to give the right answer not only to your question but to almost any other TT question but exist in this forum the TT Pro that I respect but that does not have the right answers either.

That answer that was posted here: +++ Go with your best judgment based on research and common sense. ++++

not only does not help but IMHO means nothing.

This is not a " common sense " solution, we need science/enginnering knowledge here. IMHO through science and the precise/right know how on how apply the science/engennering you/we can have the answers you/we are looking for.

Unfortunatelly no one of the TT Pro ( Caliburn, Monaco, Walker, Teres, VPI, Rockport, AS: just name it. ) or any one else has a scientific tested answer to your question. No one ( at least I don't read it anywhere. ) already find which TT vibrations/resonances are pick-up by the cartridge and through the tonearm to the cartridge. Which TT vibrations/resonances ( it does not matters where they come from. ) could mean: at which frequencies, at which level(spl), which kind of vibrations/resonances affect the most and how, with which build or blend materials: at the plinth, platter, arm board, footers; a high mass is the answer? where are the scientific studies/tests that can prove it?. Lead, slate, carbon fiber, magnesium, the best TT build material? where are the scientific studies/test that prove it? and I can go on an on with no answers, only " common sense "??????

As I say this is not a " common sense " subject: you/we have to apply science/enginnering research with the right scientific " tools " to have answers with foundation where there are no place to doubts and/or " questioning ".

Till today IMHO and with all respect to everybody we only have or are: charlatans on the subject.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Hi Ken,

I'll be interested to learn of your experiences with the Minus K device. I should expect this would approach if not represent the zenith of isolation.

Regards,
Sam