tuner better than turntable ? thread.

Hi,I started that thread a few months ago, and had said the top turners sound better than top turntables.

Well, I have to clarify, tuners like the Dynalab 108 and 109
in their stock form are very good but not as good as the best tables, but

a modified tuner with teflon coupling caps will actually
exceed the table, In my opinion.

I did not know that the my friends tuner had been modified.

I didn't realize till another friend bought a 108 and it didn't sound any where near as good as my friends 109 so
I asked him why, and my (jerk)friend just told me about the
teflon caps he had installed. Dooooooow

The modified tuner is about 30-40% better! than the stock
tuner.
It was more extended and way more transparent!

By the way, teflon caps are expensive $40 to $200 ea., depending on values but if you have a vacuum tube preamp or tube power amp, you can upgrade your
audio equipment to a new level without selling your pieces.

It will transform your unit with extension especially top end, and with transparency that will amaze.

Just make sure you substitute the coupling cap with same value (uf) and voltage rating.

Enjoy.
jimpcn
Here are interesting tuner info links.>>[http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/standings.html#41][http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/]
FM tuner info yes interesting though use as a guide NOT as the Bible.
There are other very sophisticated tuners it looks like they are not even aware of like from Germany.

Also stock unit to unit variations including be aware having alignment & modifications done.There are many self proclaimed techs that DO NOT know what they are doing.

One big red flag is talk of all this "audiophile approved"
Black gate,Cardas ect....Run

If you have a tuner that you want work done, a good place to start would be the Ham Radio community, note you will NOT get "Audiophile Approved" anything, they also know antennas better then anyother group.
FM Tuner info is a good info for deaf radio guys who like to look at the moving meters. In general, you will find a lot of horrible sounding Tuners, FM Tunerinfo is a good source for that and I agree, FM can be VERy interesting when the Station does not use limiters and other devices, which degrade the quality of the sound.
Once I did listen to a Live Concert from B. Streisand 1:1 via Broadcast, very impressive.
Most analog set ups can sound awful, too.
Syntax, LOL, you are right on! Careful reading of the FM site, as well as a few others, substantiate what you have pointed out. Finding a reviewer who is is actually an 'audiophile' with the attendant sensitivities to the QUALITY and TONE of the sound heard over a high quality system, as opposed to the 'quality' of the signal reception as heard or measured on a test bench is a rare event, but it does occur. The guy who loves Kenwood may, as I recall, be an exception.

What is really funny, to me at least, is that some folks want us to believe that if one's vinyl system was identical to that used by the broadcaster, and even assuming that the signal was not manipulated as it always seems to be, or was when vinyl was actually used, that it would 'sound better' over their audio system when heard thru a very good tuner than if one played back the same recording on vinyl thru their vinyl system. Go figure! :-)

What I read into the OP is that the poster likes an FM tuner better when playing broadcast digital music in general than the music he is able to obtain from either CD or Vinyl from his CD or Vinyl systems, presumably because all of the broadcast signal manipulation results in a pleasant sound absent all of the unpleasant artifacts inherent in these formats that are more difficult for many to deal with in their home systems. I doubt that the OP'er has ever heard a high quality, well set up, home audio system using all of the accoutrements.

BTW, FWIW, much as mod's are hawked, I've stuck to the sound produced by the Accuphase engineers. Some how I think they just might know a bit more about the subject than most modders. I expect SOTA tuner engineers know, or knew, what they were doing. But for those who might think otherwise, for the record I have never A/B'd two identical SOTA tuners, one modded/one not, so I could be FOS and not know what I'm missing.

I do agree with Stilskin about the benefits of a proper alignment and applaud his choice of the Accuphase T100. :-)