Cartridge and step up / riaa for TW Acustic Raven

Hi!

I hope you all are well :)

If everything gets together I will buy a TW Acustic Raven One with a Graham Phantom II in the new year. The next step is to buy a cartridge and phono amp.

My equipment consist of Wilson Sophias II, Burmester 032 integrated amp, Burmester 061 cd player, Nordost Tyr interconnects and speaker cables, Thor powerdistributor with Nordost Brahma powerlines. In addition to this I have a Revox B77 mk2 reel to reel player.

The Burmester sound is in many ways similar to McIntosh, but slightly more on the ying side. The sound is clear and open, with a wonderful mids. The treble is smooth and detailed. The bottom is dynamic and deep, but more running with the flow than with a slam. The bigger 911 mk3 amp is more detailed in the bottom. But the price level is different too.

So I have to combine a cartridge and phono amp to this. I play all kind of music, since I am both is a talent buyer for rock pop festivals and a consultant for the national arts council regarding music (all kinds). So I listen a lot to music through the week.

I like dynamic open detailed open sound, but I do not like it overly analytical if that means too much forward in its presentation.

I like the sound in my system at the moment. However, I have to do something with my listening room, but thats another story. Its an ongoing process as we know!

My budget at this point will be approx. USD 3,000 for the phono amp and USD 1,500 for the cartridge. Maybe step later on.

The dealer of TW Acustic has reccommended Koetsu and Air Tight.

Thanks for your help!

Cheeers, ToffenG

toffeng
Hi!

And then we have the Christmas question; which is best of Graham II or Triplanar? Ofcourse its a metter of taste, but its impossible to test out beforehand here in Norway. Versality and open dynamic neutral sound is the clue.

Cheeers and thanks for your help!

Toffen, Lillesand, Norway
I've heard your cartridge Robyatt.

One needs not buy one to hear one.

Comparing it to anything I sell is irrelevant as my opinion is just as valid as yours. Perhaps more so having heard hundreds of cartridges in over 50 years of the hobby/business.

So let me be clear. The Shilabe is overpriced IMO.

Thank you very much.
OH, in your opinion, well that makes all the difference. Don't forget as you get older in life your hearing starts to decline, for some more, rapidly than others.
The total price of the Shilabe is less than half the EXTRA mark up on the ZYX Omega, that you carry and sell in North America. That is to name just one of the overpriced phono cartridges you carry.
Hi Toffeng,

I have heard the Aesthetix Io and an older version of the Rhea as well as various Naim phonostages. The Aesthetix Io, in its various iterations, are very nice sounding phonostages, though they can be a bit noisy, particularly if asked to work with very low output cartridges. The Rhea I heard (in a dealer's system I was very familiar with) was a quite different sounding unit. To me, in the particular system I heard it in, it sounded a touch brittle and more like solid state electronics than tube.

I've heard both the cheaper and the top of the line Naim phonostages in a friends system. I don't like the lower end phonostage because it has a somewhat "dry" sound (it is hard for me to describe the sound, it is more a personal response to certain solid state gear), and has an edginess to the attack of the note that makes everything sound a touch mechanical and artificial. But, the top of the line phonostage is an entirely different matter. It has far less of the kind of unpleasant qualities of some solid state, delivered all the harmonics of complex music correctly, and delivered the kind of dynamics and punch that Naim fans like while minimizing the "mechanical" qualities of the Naim sound. I heard it attached to one of the better Naim power supplies, so, in that configuration, it is quite an expensive phonostage.

Among the not so high priced cartridges, I have heard, and liked, the Transfiguration Phoenix and the Ortofon PW. Both are not as warm and rich sounding as the Koetsu cartridges, but, I suspect they will be a nice match for your system.

Hi!

Thanks! Have any of you listened to PS Audio GCPH Phono Preamplifier? It has received very good reviews and the price in Norway is not bad at all. And its versatile too.

Cheeers, ToffenG