Cartridge Loading

I just purchased a Benz Ace with .8mv output. The requirements are loading of > 200 ohms. I do not want to spend time trying to determine if 400 ohms sound better than 600 ohms If anyone has experience with the Benz and could give me a resistance that will work well I would appreciate it. Thanks Geroge
ghs
Well Halcro,
now I beg to differ with you - and go with Doug KISS aproach :-)
I been chasing my tail with MC loading, SUT (with and without primary and secondary loading) and with every value you want to imagine --- result?
MM sound simply better going into 47k and using that +/- 100pF capacitance, that comes with my arm and phono-cable.

Now as you say: you may still get things yet better (one always seems to at least in ones own mind) but the simple "plug & play" as mentioned by Doug, so far has out performed all my MCs ---- quite that simple, eh.
Of course as always YMMV :-)
Greetings,
Axel
Well, Halcro, you know, the most important from all, is, that the cartridge fits to the tonearm.
Next is, copying something from a manufacturer is nice but more or less without any worth.Every one has his own religion. A horrible sounding preamp does not get any better with any load, one of the reasons, why these discussions are always endless.
Next, 100 ohms from Preamp A are not identical to 100 ohms from Preamp B.
That's one reason why there are so many different sounding units are out there.
Ernst Benz made all cartridges for 47kohms. Later the manuals were changed to 10-47kohms, it makes the sale much easier and the Dealer can say "yes" to everything the customer has at home.
Best is always to try with the given Preamp, when that one will be replaced the game starts again.
And you need a Turntable which can show the real difference, not a colored result based on its construction.
Happy Listening.
Agree with Halcro.

I have much experience with MM/MI cartridges and they are hardly plug and play.

Doug needs to walk before he runs.
Short:
47 kohm when you have a preamp which can do it without sounding thin, dead and analytical
1kohm when you have a normal preamp
below 200ohms when you have a very analytical and harsh sounding high end System and you want to soften it.
or
MM Phono and a matching high quality Step Up.
I loaded my loved Benz LP with 470 ohms inside Whest Audio PS30 RDT and it sounds wonderful

My cent!