Allnic Verito Z:Owners and those familiar

Am considering the purchase of this cartridge.My funds have been delayed and thus the purchase.
I have looked for reviews,but there are only comments.
Can anyone contrast/compare this against some known quantity.I'm hoping that the few members ,who own this will comment and relay their experiences.
Thanks in advance-Tom
tpsonic
I rarely contribute here, but I thought I would because I have been living with the Verito Z for about a year. I have not heard a large variety of cartirdges in my system; however, I have had the opportunity to hear many of the very best in Dave Beetle's system. Dave is a friend, but I have no interest in his business. And I do not buy audio gear based on a sense of obligation to its sellers - much to their chagrin sometimes, I am sure!

I can second a number of comments by the other Verito owners here. The Verito does take about a 100 hours to "loosen" up (every year it is taking me longer, too). At first, though it has incredible detail and speed, it sounds constrained at both frequency extremes and rather thin. The change over time is dramatic, and it takes on the character Radicalsteve describes. An aluminum headshell will be a disaster. My experience indicates that such a combination will destroy the Verito's transparency, with resonances muddying the sound, blurring images and making for a quite unsatisfying hard, grating and sibilant performance. But a single performance is not the last word about the performer.

I used the Verito in a number of headshells, all aluminum, on a Dynavector 505 and I just could not understand why I could not make it perform as I had heard it at Dave Beetle's; I was getting frustrated by a smearing of image and a real hardness in the top end. Of course, I also was distracted by and played with cables to compensate for what I did not know were headshell issues. On Dave's suggestion, and that of a friend in Toronto also using the Verito, I tried a Shun Mook ebony headshell. That did it - a truly remarkable transition. I have been more than happy since, until recently. I recently changed tonearms to one with a handcrafted ebony wand, but it has a small aluminum plate that is used to attach the cartridge to the integrated headshell. While not as severe as before, the sibilance and top end hardness returned. After hearing from Dave B. the story in his ad, I slipped one of the ebony shims that come with the Shun Mook headshell between the top of the Verito and the aluminum mounting plate. Magic. Warmth, solidity of instrument and voice images, speed, tonal correctness, great ambient recording space detail, depth and width of soundstage - and great bass all have returned.

I just heard the Verito at Dave's on both a Dynavector 505 and a 12 inch SAEC - with the ebony shim - and compared to a London Decca on a 12 inch EMT arm. The London is wonderful - all the qualities above, but to a lesser degree than the Verito. In particular, somewhat less detail and a restricted and more forward soundstage, in comparison in Dave's system.

Synergy is a word with which we are all familiar. In light of that concept's application to this hobby, I always try to temper my natural, I think, desire to make statements about absolute value, especially when popping a new component into a system that is maximized for the one it's replacing (at least temporarily). I appreciated Mr. Dlanselm's comment that he was unsure about the role that the SME arm, with its aluminum headshell, might have played in his system. However, he did not say how many hours he put on the Verito. Unfortunately, Mr. Rauliruegas provided no information at all on such matters, on the time he spent, or how he spent his time, with the Verito. I really appreciate commentary where such significant detail is provided, rather than generalized comparative statements; but not everyone has the time. I know I usually do not. I am not prepared to spend the money on some of the cartridges that people have mentioned here. Fortunately, I have not had to because I have a friend who has had and played them all in a wide variety of set ups (I call David's big closet the "tonearm museum" - I think he really needs a big old bank vault given the total value of what he has available at home to try). By the way, David and I do not necessarily agree on the kind of sound we like - I have characterized our slight differences as "Drama vs Dharma", but the Verito is something I do agree with him on completely, given the right conditions of its use and the patience to listen and work with it. I also believe that we can get to a point where we will hear a system that "does it" for both of us. In fact, I think we're getting pretty close to being there.

For what it's worth, that's my story. Good luck with your purchase, Tpsonic, whatever you decide.
Dear Gersimon: The cartrridge was not mine but of a friend and with more than 100 hours on it. I test it in two different tonearms with different headshells. It performs better in some than in others but the whole cartridge performance is ( like I posted ) nothing especial even for its price.

Now, IMHO how is that a cartridge designer ( with all respect ) build a cartridge with almost no voicing ( I have to assume this because of those troubles with the aluminum and the kind. ) where he detect the " wrong side " of the item?

Now, if I pay 2.8K for a cartridge that does not sound even decent till you find the ebony shims or the like then I have to pass.
Now, I will take every single effort in a cartridge that at the end can show its " marvelous " and great quality performance but IMHO this is not the case with this cartridge.

The music sound reproduction for me is something critical and serious as is for all of you and we all are customers and we have to ask for better and easy audio items.

Dear friend, do you want something like this: great and easy? that outperform any single cartridge named here? well there are some and one of that cartridge IMHO is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bang-Olufsen-B-O-MMC1-MMC-1-Cartridge-RARE_W0QQitemZ120482629912QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0d530918#ht_500wt_1182

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Dear Mr. Raul,
Thank you for your "detailed" account; very interesting it is. However, it is so totally opposite to my experience (and others', as witnessed even on this thread) that I cannot imagine the particulars of the circumstances that have given rise to yours. Over the last year and a half, I have had the opportunity to hear the Verito (both versions) on a dozen different arms on almost as many turntables, with various phono stages, step-up transformers and cabling, and in comparison with many of the cartridges listed in this thread - my opinion stands. As for "voicing": compliance issues, Cartridge man's (and others') Isolator, different body materials on hundreds of different cartridges, not to mention impedance matching and gain issues, all bear witness to the fact that your comment, with respect, is without substantial foundation. Is there any other aspect of analogue reproduction that is as fraught with synergy issues as cartridge/headshell/tonearm/arm mounting/cabling/gain design, to mention a few? It's not so hard, after all, to make a 15K cartridge (or any other piece of audio gear) sound bad. I would also comment that Mr. Audiofeil, well known as a dealer, called the Verito "dull" - the polar opposite of what those Verito users who have had issues complain of. How inexplicable. I have heard several of the Zyxs in these different scenarios and do not own one of them, which is not to say they are "bad" by any means. There is no substitute for time, trial and error, educated guessing, careful listening and patience in this arena. I cannot account for your experience and commentary, but thank you for the additional information.
Regards,
Gerry
Tpsonic,

I agree with Gersimon with his pragmatic approach to an evaluation and his opinion of the Verito Z.
I have had a Verito Z for about six months and have compared it to a Dynavector XV1-s and used it on a Kuzma Stogi S arm and a Reed, and now will be putting it on a Kuzma 4-point. I do think it works best on higher mass tonearms. I find the Verito very natural and musical.

The post by Audiofeil calling this cart "dull" is laughable. The Verito is anything but that. If he sold Allnic it would be the best cart in the world.

And Raul, I have to call you on this, you say this cart is too much trouble to get right, and audio should be "simple". How many tables, with how many arms, and is it 19 carts in your system? Let me know what complicated is if your approach to audio is "simple".

With the right setup I have listened to Ron Carters "yellew and green", Cat people "soundtrack", Eric Clapton "unplugged", King Crimson "court of crimson king" and "larks tongue in aspic" Herbie Hancock, Ben Webster, Suzanne Vega, etc.etc. and heard tight true accoustic bass, tympanies, kick drums and crystal clear bells and cymbals, piano notes and vocals that are amazing.
I'm not saying that this cart is perfect but on alot of music with the right arm and setup it can be awesome. What cart is perfect for all music and all arms? Then we would all just have one cart and one arm and one table, right.

I think this cart is a good value and compares with carts costing much more. Remember let your ears do the deciding.

Thanks for the time,
Matt
Dear Matt: You are right audio is not " simple " and I don't mean in that plain sense but: imagine that you pay 2.8K ( big money ) for an audio item where no one knows that to perform good you have to add those ebony " devices " , I'm sorry but this is crazy.
You say you try a XV-1 well this cartridge perform good in almost any environment, yes it could perform better with some tonearms than with other ones but in general you almost always have a good performance. You don't have to be a " fortune-teller " to find out its real performance.

Now, many of you already put those 2.8K on it so you have to live with till you find something better or something that you like it better.

Now, I'm not questioning that you like it ( and other people too: owners. ) at the end of the day what I say is not important as certainly is what you say/think when you are who must live with.

It is always difficult not to have a controversy on subjects like the one here where exist so many different parameters/stages to make a statements on a cartridge ( any ), in this case more complex due to those singular " characteristics " for a good matching tonearm and build material on direct contact with the cartridge.

Anyway, I think that everyone of us are looking for the " best " sound reproduction performance through our analog rig and if you think that the Verito was the right way to achieve that's fine.

I add that for all of us, including Tom, this controversy can open " new " alternatives like the one I linked. Why we try with " new " cartrridges? why we buy new and different cartridges? what are we looking for with all those cartridge, tonearm or TT changes?: I assume a improvement in our system quality performance, well the Verito can't give me that desired improvement but the B&O in the link can and did in a wide manner.

Maybe I'm wrong but this is the way I " feel " and the way the audio experiences made my way of thinking.

I respect any single opinion in this forum and learn from any single one, this is part of my audio experiences.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.