Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Dear Harold, To know if A is similar to B one need to
know something about both or, at least, to have seen
them both. To my knowlege only two lucky b's own this misterious
Glanz: Vetterone and Dover. Vetterone also owns many other
Glanz - as well other other carts. Alas he is to busy with
his inventions so we may get some comment from Dover ?
Dear Nandric, In mid 80´s this MFG-610LX was the best GLANZ model for sale, at least in this European frontier. The stylus tip is Line Contact. In my younger and not so wealthy days I had to be very careful when spending my money on high fidelity things such as expensive phono cartridges. I had to choose between SHURE V15V-MR and that peculiar GLANZ. Just previously I had experienced the excellent MFG-310LX. I chose the SHURE instead. Had I chosen the GLANZ, would I still be enjoying it ? I mean as much as the ULTRA 500 with witch I completed my MM search 25 years ago I ? Mysteries of life...
Yes, we must ask Dover.
Hello Nandric,

So glad you have not forgot me!

Harold, I wish I knew the answer to your question about the MFG-610LX vs the MF-61. Since I have zero knowledge of the 610LX, I can't help. I can tell you the MFG-61's owner manual calls the stylus a "specially designs PH stylus". The owner's manual also states "MFG-61, as the most prestige Glanz MF cartridge". Not sure if it is a Line Contact or not but the 61's stylus is the smallest stylus I have owned. I do have a USB microscope and it looks like a LC but smaller than any other I have seen. The 61 also has a boron cantilever.

Bonne chance
Dear Harold, The nomenclature of the most carts is inscrutable. Think of AT, AKG, Empire, etc.. I have the user manual included by my Glanz 31 l with the 'whole' series imported by Glanz then from Mitachi company in Japan. There are specs of 8 carts with 71,51 and 31 as
the 'top line'. But your 610 LX and 310 LX are not included. There is also no mentioninig of this 61 model or version so both Vetterone and Dover enjoyed teasing me with the fact(?) that they own this 'treausere' and I do not. So while I am not very optimistic in 'nature' I still
hope that both will inform us about this misterious cart.
Dear Vetterone, Many thanks for your very informative review of those vintage GLANZ flagships. Maybe the MFG-XXXLX series were imported exclusively to this North European Frontier, kinda opposite to the Japanese market (grin). I should have had bought it when it was available for a very short time, young and foolish was I !

The MFG-61 with its special tiny stylus tip and boron cantilever may very well be the finest of the GLANZ MF carts.

Merci