Feelings on the Music Hall MMF 7.1

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on this table? In the price range it looks to be a pretty decent rig. Any big drawbacks I'm missing?
silvergsx
I was originally looking at the p5, but I was kind of turned off by the fact it doesn't have VTA adjustment.
I thought I was in the market for a P5 to upgrade from my Pro-Ject Xpression III but I really like the look of the MMF-7.1 and wish I would have gone with that over the Pro-Ject. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do :/
I just purchased a used MMF-7 from here on A'gon. Let me just cut to the chase and say I am enjoying every moment with the MMF-7. No, it's not the last word in detail, or transparency, but it is as musical as all get out. It has a natural warmth, with lot's of air, and really a great soundstage, and has a nice, fully adjustable tonearm. Bottom line, it sounds great.

Now, is it competative at list price? As I've never listened to the similarly priced Regas, Projects, etc., I really can't say. However, I don't think Tfkaudio's comparison of the VPI Scout and the MMF-7 is valid. MMf-7 list price is $1295 (w/o cartridge) $1495 (including cartridge...and really a nice one at that) vs. VPI Scout $1799 (w/o cartridge). I'm sure the Scout is a fine tt, and one I will consider upgrading to in the future, but for right now, the MMF-7 is very affordable (especially when purchased used) and ultimately enjoyable (ie, musical).

Find a used one here on A'gon, plug it in, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I am!
Louis, glad to hear that you're enjoying the mmf-7. Your description is right on. It is a great turntable for the money, and a used one in good shape is a true bargain. (Though you have to be careful, I bought a used mmf-7 that wasn't properly packaged and was NOT as advertised.)

You're correct in the VPI Scout at $1800, I was (mistakenly) using the VPI Scout II price. But the relationship is still valid. And as for future upgrades, I think I'd go one step up from the Scout; from all that I've been reading (and hope to hear) the added cost (+/-$2500 USD) puts you into another category of sonic ability and is worth the extra cash.

Tom
Hi,
Yes, I never meant to imply that the MMF and VPI were the same price. I was suggesting that the price gap had closed to the point that I would consider the extra few hundred bucks for a VPI to be a no-brainer. However, I did forget that the MMF price included a pretty good cartridge.
Cheers.