Silver solder--what wattage soldering iron?

I need to solder some new Cardas cartridge clips onto my Rega RB600, and I'm having trouble using a Radio Shack 40W soldering iron with the silver solder that came with the clips. Doesn't seem like I'm getting enough heat, even after I cleaned the tip with sandpaper. Does this iron have enough wattage, and if not how much do I need? Thanks, Will Herrera
will_herrera
I hate solder with silver period. It always need extra heat to operate and doesn't shape up correctly plus you have a chance of 'frying' the tiny tonearm wires
IME, this is somewhat delicate and you need a better iron. I can recommend Weller, with a 1/32 tip about 650-700 degrees F. This kind of tool is what provides that "simple, quick touch" solder.
Try using some flux which is 'acid based' to clean the metals. It is made just for soldering. I haven't soldered or brazed with silver for about 35 years but without the flux it will never make a decent solder/braze joint.
40 watts is MORE than enough. Are you heating the wire first, then adding the solder? Make sure to use alligator clips for heat sinks so as to not melt the dielectric. If your out of practice, practice on some spare wire of the same (or close to the same) gauge.

I do power cord soldering w/40 watts.
I would get a better iron. There are ones with variable power available now that I wish had been around when I could see well enough to use them. I also used Weller, usually 25 watts.